V-Tone GMX212 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone GMX212

As I said before I use humbuckers through my Les Paul Standard. Suits my style fine, the distortion is crazy, you can get it crunchy and lots of bark, especially with my treble switch on my guitar flipped on. But you can also distort it only slightly and get a pretty cool distortion for softer rock. Also distorting the clean channels is pretty cool. You can make it sound like southern rock, or slower rock, think Lynard Skynyrd: Sweet Home Alabama. You can actually match that distortion perfectly with the gain on 6, the amp on California, the mode on clean, and the speaker on UK. The clean channel doesn't get distorted no matter what the volume unless you turn the gain past 3 on any volume. The effects seem to lean toward the distortion channel though in terms of how good they sound, although there are quite a few that work nice with the clean channel on. If you were to rate the distortion (how "brutal") with 1 being clean/clear and 10 being something like screaching power metal, I'd say you can get it between 2 (there is a little dirt on the clean but it's not noticable if you play on the tweed setting, but it's very quiet like that) and 7 or 8 for rock stuff. That seems like a pretty good range for me since my range of music I play is right in there anyways. Of course you're not gonna get a great metal distortion, but if you turn the mids to down to about just lower than half, and keep the highs and lows up pretty high you get a nice fat metal sound, but it's not screaming by any means. Once again, these distortions are the reason pedals were invented.

I've been playing for more than 4 years now. My friend owns a Fender FM212 which I compare it to, and I'd say this one beats it in almost every aspect except maybe volume, which by no means is quiet for this amp (GMX212). The tweed channel on my amp sounds just as good as his Fender's clean channel. If it were stolen I'd probably save up for this amp, although if I had the cash I might just go after a halfstack of some sort, but it would probably be a Behringer halfstack. I chose this amp because it was the cheapest in it's class of 212's but also as I said before I had already played my friend's FM212 and I just gave this one a try, because maybe it's just me but I can't stand the Fender's distortion. Overall, it's a great buy. I impress myself when I play it and I impress all of my friends and people who play it. It's an amazing amp and for $100 less than something comparable to this amp, this is the one to choose.