V-Tone GMX212 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone GMX212

Purchased from: Music Go Round - Richfield, Minnesota

OK, I don't exactly have the greatest guitars in the world. I have a Washburn Maverick BT4 (hey, don't laugh, this thing is as good as your Squire Strat) and an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (don't laugh at this either, I got it for $40). The amp's sound I would rate at pretty good. As everyone says, the clean channel is really quiet. But I don't really care, I never use it. My 'Drive' dial is always at 10, sometimes I try to push it to 11 but it can't go further. The reason I do this is that the regular distortion is just a little wimpy. Don't put the low at 10, that will shake the speakers and be a bit damaging and just sound really crappy. Put the low at maybe 8, mid at 1 and high at 10, which is about the best distortion setting I can think of. Your first impression will be that it's pretty damn good. But it's a solid state. It's not a Marshall, it's not a Fender. Oh yeah, it'll give you that Metallica sound, no problem. But it can't deliver a really nasty, dirty, garage rock/grunge/noise rock/superfuzz type of tone, which is really what I like. It's not going to give you a sound like Hendrix gets live, for example. But I guess that's because it's not an incredibly huge Marshall, and it's not a tube. It's tone is what leaves me wanting a bit more, is basically what I've been saying. But it is loud. You can do shows with this thing. Another downside is that with the speaker setting on US, the sound is kind of distant. Put it on the UK setting and it sounds right there, in your face, AC/DC style. Put it on US and it sounds like you have the presence dial down a bit. But you only notice this if you switch between the UK and US dials right next to eachother. Take a look at the back of the amp though. Two 50 watt Jensen speakers which were made in Italy. These speakers are used in a few certain very high quality Fender amps, so these ain't some poor quality no-name speakers. These things have OOMPH! I was definitely surprised to see those in there. These are some of the best speakers you can get.

I play a few certain styles. I do many Sonic Youth style noise rock freakouts on effect #96, I play some very very heavy stuff like The Melvins (to get this sound, put on effect #96, put the low up, turn the tone all the way down on your guitar and do some riffs on the E string with your palm muting it a little bit. Hell yeah), and I do some old school hardcore punk style stuff (early Hsker D, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, etc) so I'm always using distortion. It is impressive. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to find one again, but I would have a tough time coming up with the cash. Best parts: easy to use, totally uncomplicated, loud, awesome effects, pretty good tones and distortion, for the price you absolutely cannot beat it. A Marshall with the same stats costs over twice as much. Seriously. Worst parts: Distortion tone could be better, but depending on your style of music, you'll probably think it's great. It's also pretty big and bulky. But I this was sitting in the store for $200 dollars. That is MASSIVELY cheap for what you get. I shouldn't be complaining at all. I'm not, really. I'm just telling you what you get. The bottom line is that if you can get this, preferrably slightly used for $100-$150 less like I got mine, buy it. It will not dissappoint you, but it will dissappoint your friend with the Peavey or the Crate or even the Fender amp. Heh heh heh. Basically, this is the cheapest 100 watt amp you can possibly find. Two 50 watt Jensen speakers. Those speak for themselves. And boy do they ever speak.

It seems very reliable. I would definitely use it at a show, because it's loud and more than enough power to get a good sound. It's really big and bulky, too. This thing is 2 1/2 feet wide, about a 1 1/2 feet high and 53 pounds. 53 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but it's pretty damn wide and it has one measley rubber handle on the top to hold it (which I sometimes thing might just rip off because it's so flimsy) so it is kind of difficult to move around. As I said in features, it takes a long while for it to get real hot and overloaded. It can do shows no sweat. I bought mine very very slightly used and taken to no shows, so when I got it, it had no warranty. So I sure as hell hope it's reliable and durable.

This thing has a ton of features. It had more features than any amp in the store, actually. Chorus, Reverb, Flanger, Echo, those type of things. But the awesome ones are the wah (effect 72), the "wawawawawawawawa" type of vibrating wah (effect 74), and my personal favorite is effect number 96. Want more distortion than anything you can imagine? Turn the low to 10, mid to 1, high to 10. Put it on California, Hot, and US for the 3 channel effects. Put the master volume down to 3, turn the level on your channel to 7 if you want gain, 8 if you're gutsy, 9 if you've got balls, and 10 if you're insane. Turn the effect level to 99. Turn the effect on. You'll probably jump at first cause it's insanely loud, but at a level of 9 or 10 you can't even hear your notes because it's just fuzz. Think about the level of distortion on The Velvet Underground's "I Heard Her Call My Name". It also has a footswitch - one button to switch channels, one to turn the effects on or off, and if you hold the effect down for a few seconds it shuts off and goes into tuner mode (which I don't recommend. The tuner sucks. But it is a nice feature, and a way to quiet down inbetween songs during a show). Another nice feature are some big metal fins on the back to prevent it from heating up, which is definitely something I need. My last amp (a 15 watt solid-state practice amp) blew because it got too hot. This thing has never gotten really hot. I've played it very very loud for 30-40 minutes and it's not even really that warm. One thing it doesn't have though is a reverb dial. Instead, that is an effect. Hell, my old Peavey 15 watt practice amp had a reverb dial. This thing is a gig amp! It should have a reverb dial. Even a little amount of reverb is always healthy.

Schecter_tabber
    this amp is awesome if you cant figure out how to get a loud clean sound here it is gain 10, amp tweed, mode clean, speaker u.k. and precense on 7, thats a good sound; for lead gain 10, amp cali, mode hot, speaker u.k. preset 24 fx all the way, and for a heavy metal rythmn sound you want gain 10, amp tweed, mode clean, speaker u.k.,preset 98 fx all the way and digi tech death metal pedal set on smoth sustain but with more low at like 3 o'clock ya this amp kicks ass!
    blueandyellow66
    im buying this monster as soon as i have the which im working on now after reading these reviews it sounds pritty goot cant wait!!!!!
    rps13fanatic
    Uh, I don't know about the last review, but mine doesn't smell after 5 minutes. It doesn't smell at all. The only thing I don't like is that the footswitch isn't very responsive. It takes like a second. But no big deal, I only use it to go into tuner mode anyway.
    Captain Planet
    This is a brilliant amp. In terms of quality to price, this is amazing. The effectsa are really useable, and it's not like most other modelling amps where you don't hev much control over the sounds. Really, the amp models are different modes than specific amps. Each channel has it's own dedicated set of knobs and this amp can go very loud. I've played gigs with this thing and never had it up past 4 on Master Volume. I can't imagine how loud this thing can actually go!! Overall, I'm really impressed wit this amp. My only gripes are that the footswith is not very responsive (it takes maybe a second to change channels once the button is pressed) and the Tweed amp setting is too quiet. 9/10
    Captain Planet
    Oh, just a note: I got one of these and after about 8 months, it started acting weird whenever the footswitch was plugged in. The footswitch buttons wouldnt work and it would kind of freeze up until you took the footswitch plug out the back and turned it off then on again. I email Behringer in Germany and they said there was definitely a problem. They arranged for UPS to come pick it up (at their expence) and sent me another brand new one completetely free! Behringer rock!
    tsmilliner
    The last guy probably has the wrong power voltage selected. The international version has selectable power options depending on your country. I just got one and I love this thing for the money spent.
    powerlord
    me and my friend had this baby on volume 5 with the output at 10 on california-UK-hot bass at 10 mid at 2 and treble at 10,people were leaving the house!It was clean and monsterous while he was playing metallica songs,I paid 159.00 for this amp at a guitar center closeout,wee!!!! I was going to buy a half stack but after hearing a couple of these slaved at this price,I'll happily stick with these any day,damn good amp at an unheard of price!!!
    Chavagnatze
    About six months after purchase the amp started making random popping noises. After another month of that the effects and tuner don't work at all. The display just reads d2 and I can only use channel two. I have always used the amp with a Zoom GFX-5 in the effects loop. with some tweaking I can make the amp sound decent enough. Nowadays I just set channel two as clean and get the dynamics from the Zoom GFX-5. Atleast there is no more lag when switching channels. I will probably end up using the speakers with a home built amp and trash everything except the heatsink, amplifier circuit, output transformer, and some other hardware.