V-Tone GMX212 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone GMX212

Purchased from: ebay

Did I mention that I am a novice and that this is my first amp? Given that, I'm going to try and be as objective as possible and avoid any speculation. Here's what I do know... I tried endlessly to get a good grungy rock tone, but eventually found it better to just go clean and plug in my DigiTech FX pedal for the distorted stuff. No big deal. Having said that, this amp is warm and full sounding and has lovely, rich clean tones when set correctly. The onboard analogue FX are wonderful when plaid clean. They're so much warmer and nicer than my DigiTech RP155's clean effects, and although the Behringer lacks in FX editing and layering, the DigiTech has still been relegated to distortion FX only. Needless to say, both channels on the Behringer are set up for clean. How loud is it? Well I only play at home and I can't compare it to any other amps in this price range, but I can tell you this... Make sure you Live in a detached house with double/triple glazing before you crank over that master volume dial. This thing will Drive your neighbours nuts! I'm more than happy with the sound, but death metal freaks may want to look elsewhere. Looses 2 points for naff dirty channel.

C'mon, I paid 173 delivered for a Brand New 2x60 watt RMS amp with 2 12 inch speakers and lots of wonderful stereo FX. There are a few cheap ones out there if you shop around, and I think for the money (225 or less) you cannot do better. It even comes with a metal cased foot Switch! If it were stolen I'd be prepared to pay up to 225 for a new one. Above that price though, things get interesting in the form of the newer breed of modeling amps (Vypyr 75 & Vox vt50 etc) although it has to be said that they are still significantly smaller amps. My final impression is that you can probably find a better built amp, or better FX, defiantly better distortion elsewhere, but I don't think you'll get such a complete package as the Behringer for the money. It really is a lot of amp! Looses 1 point for being a jack of all trades but a master of none. I still say the distortions are cr^p.

Can I depend on it to sit in the corner of my bedroom and not fall to bits? I think so, yes. It's pretty damn heavy (25kg), feels pretty solid (apart from the plastic buttons) and all the connection plugs are metal not plastic. I'm not a pro, and this isn't pro-grade gear. After all, a pair of pro-grade headphones would cost more than this big amp cost me, so given the price paid and the alternatives at this price point, I would say that this is a pretty solid amp for an amateur Who looks after his gear. Looses 1 point for plastic dials & buttons.

I think the amp must have been made sometime in 2006 or after, as the manual has a copyright date of 2006. I bought it from an ebay shop as a Brand New b-grade item with warranty, b-grade because the cardboard box was tatty, but after unpacking I saw that this was indeed a Brand New amp, and even the little protective film over the FX LED was intact. The BUY-NOW price was 173 including 24-hour delivery. BARGAIN! I'm a novice bedroom player, so I just needed something basic to amplify my guitar however, connectivity was high on my list and this amp certainly has plenty of connectivity options! As for the 2x60 watts RMS amp, 12-inch stereo speakers and analogue FX, well I didn't intend to get that much amp for such little money, but I'm not complaining! It all looks and works great with more than enough OOOMPH! for home use. For the money this HAS to be a 10!

Ashweninjahh
    i own this amp and i play with the fx at 44, gain 10, presence 10, low 8.5, high 9, mid 1, and i use no pedals, i get a great sound for crushing solos xD