Virtube VT30FX review by Behringer

Behringer: Virtube VT30FX

Purchased from: Amazon

Right my main guitar is an Ibanez RG 350DX, and It sounds amazing through the amp for really good metal tones and acoustic, at the moment where I live now in uni I'm using my first guitar which is a Jim Deacon Pro Strat copy! Sadly its pick-ups are old a need a change, but from it I found some al-right classic rock tones and for some amazing reason some brilliant acoustic tones. I have run my other guitar which was a PRS SE Tremonti which also sounded amazing through both clean and distortion, and my friends Ibanez RGR465 which was also outstanding. The amp itself is quiet as a mouse, even as I write this my amp is on with my Strat and I can barely hear anything (on clean) on distortion you get a little hum, but its not enough to be incredibly annoying. The kinds of sounds this amp could not be called unique, but what I consider to be unique sound would be the sound of say, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Tom Morello (a tone which you could identify as that guitarist tone) but the tones you can get a very good in a very generic way, in that you can get a good metal/rock rhythm and solo tones, you can get a good clean/blues tones, but nothing to really impress the neighbours. The amp itself is pretty diverse for both clean and distortion, but the Orange Crush 35FX amp definitely has a better acoustic tone, but the Behringer has a better distortion, and where-as Peavey and Ibanez have slightly better distortions, the Behringer has better cleans tones. The Behringer really balances well in comparison to other brands. OK 1 of the questions asked was "Is the clean channel distorted at high volumes?" well I turned up the amp through some headphones and It really didn't, and the other question was "How brutal is the distortion?" And it is pretty god-damn brutal, but a little more would be better for someone like me.

Like I said I play a range of genres but I generally lean towards metal, and the amp suites this very well, as well as accommodating good clean sounds.I have now been playing for nearly 8 years (my doesn't time fly) so I think I know what I look for when I'm buying an amp. I do own a Line 6 Spider III 120 watt, which is not the best but not the worst and some of the sounds I have got out of that have been amazing, which to be fair is on its way out, it has a short delay when it loads up and other various irrelevant stuff, but there is too much of a difference between the amps to really compare them. If this amp was stolen I think I would buy another one, not because its the best amp I've ever tried, but for value for money, sound, quality of build and the free foot switch, its portable and it has so many good features like the VTC and reverb. I can gladly tell you what I despise more than anything is the delay on the amp, rock, metal, blues, jazz, funk all have different tempos unlike genres like drum and bass which have a set tempo, which really makes the delay on the amp pretty pointless. The other thing which I mentioned before was the cable which connects the amp to the plug socket was really low quality, and didn't fit properly, I can tell you what I love about this amp is everything bar these 2 things. Like I said at the beginning of the review I was going to compare it to other amps of the same amplification. The Only amp to really beat the Behringer on clean sounds, amplification and the effects was the Orange 35 watt crush. It had an inbuilt tuner I the effects were insanely good. It was also slightly louder than the Behringer, but it had a terrible distortion and it was nearly twice the price. I also compared it to the Marshall, the Marshall was a little better on overall sound quality, it was 50% more at the cheapest I could find it and the effects were not as good as the Behringer, And It was a similar story for the Peavey Vypyr 30 watt but the people who were selling them where I lived were selling them for a kings ransom and the same with the Roland. The Line 6 Spider 4 was a possibility but I have already got a Line 6 and I didn't want another one I wanted something different, A good tip though is to go on Amazon and put in 30 watt guitar amps and see how the amps sound on YouTube Overall after this gargantuan review I think the Behringer Virtube VT30FX is great for value for money and does sound pretty good for value for the price paid. The only thing I wish It had is a tap/tempo delay like on a Line 6 and an inbuilt tuner. Hope you enjoyed reading the review, I would be amazed if you read it all!

Well I've had this guitar amp about a month now and I'm a very abusive player, but the amp has shown no signs of dying on me, and because its got a line out on it, I think I would take it to a gig and run it through another amp through a P.A. The only thing I would recommend If you were to buy this amp, would be to buy another amp cable/kettle lead, whatever its called simply because the one that came with it as a standard was feeble and was too small to fit in the socket at the back, and it kept falling out, so in my opinion the only liability is the cable that comes with it, Its Durable and Reliable what more could I ask.

First things first for the price I paid for this amp it is a bargain, I did have to pay a shipping fee of around 10-12 and for some amazing reason it was sent from Germany to France to me in Britain, but I think it was Amazons fault. Another thing was when I was looking for a small loud amp so I did look at a range of brands (Marshall, Orange etc.) So I will be making comparison to these brands through out the review. The style of music I play is Instrumental speed metal, Jazz etc. I'm quite diverse, (Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Animals As Leaders, to name a few) so I needed an amp which could do both clean and distortion. Well the amp was made in 2011, it comes with a free foot pedal (the FS112VT) for switching between either clean or distortion and turn effects on or off, the foot pedal itself is pretty basic, but seems pretty weighty and solid. The amp itself is pretty big and weighty too (I wanted it as a recording/jamming/portable amp but its nearly as big as my Line 6 Spider III 120 watt) it has a mass of I think is 14kg dimensions of 56.9 x 32.9 x 51 cm and comes with a 10" Bugera heavy duty 30 watt speaker. As you have probably guessed the amp has 2 channels, clean and distortion. The clean channel has 3 knobs which are: - Volume - Bass - Treble The Distortion Channel has a mighty 5 knobs which are: - Gain - Bass - Contour - Treble - Volume The amp comes with 16 effects which are divided into 4 levels of 4 effects, And the level of that effect can be change by the Fx level control knob, Behringer say, and I quote "All VIRTUBE models, with the exception of the VT15CD, come with state-of-the-art effects - and not some cheap-and-cheesy reverb chip, but a full-blown 24-bit digital effects processor with 16 great-sounding reverbs, choruses, flangers and delays", which personally I think is a bit of an over statement, although some of the effects are very good which I was quite surprised at. Effects 1-4 is Reverb, which turned out to be the best effect (In my opinion) simply because it had a very broad/diverse range of reverbs, ranging from a small room to a large hall/chapel, which seem actually quite usable. Effects 5-8 was Delay. I could not say the same for the delay as the reverb because it is so diabolical, If the the amp came with a tap delay like on a Line 6 model the delay might have some use, but because it is a set delay I have found no use for it. Anyway the delays range from a slap-back delay to a Brian May like delay. From 9-12 we have Chorus, again this sounds pretty good through the clean channels and you can really change the chorus to suite what you're playing, personally I don't use chorus but it I will admit it does sound good. From 13-16 we have Flanger! Yet again its like the chorus I don't really us it that often enough, but it does sound good with a heavy amount of distortion. What this amp could also do with is an inbuilt tuner like a Line 6 Spider 3 or 4. Last of all the VTC BUTTON! Which is the Virtual tube control button. (I think that what it stands for don't quote me from it) And as you have probably guessed it emulates the sound of a tube amp! I was actually impressed with this feature because it surprisingly sounds really good. After that we have a line-in jack, which is great for playing in drums tracks, backing tracks, or music at house parties. A headphone line-out, which is also good for recording into an external computer recording device (funnily enough my recording device is a Behringer UCG102 and it works a dream!) The line out can also be passed through into a bigger amp, I ran mine through my Line 6 and got some crazy sounds. Last but not least the foot switch input, which allows you to input your foot switch. If I were to compare its features to another amp it would have to the Marshall MG30DFX, It has the same features when it comes to the tone controls line in and out, it also has the same limitations as the Marshall when it comes to delay as well, but I think the fact you can select different types of effects rather turn up the intensity of effects is better, So the Behringer wins on effects. The Behringer also comes with a free foot switch, I'm not sure whether or not the Marshall does. Also the fact the Behringer is heavier than the Marshall because when you turn up an amp you don't want it buzzing around like an out of control dildo. Price was also a factor because I had a budget of around 150, the Marshall was 156 and for just a bit cheaper than the Marshall I could have bought the 60 watt version of this amp, But I think the Marshall has an overall better tone. Also I'm not bumming off Marshall I quite like them my friend has the 30 watt Marshall so I think it is safe to make a comparison based on this!

CaliforniaKid
    I've used a behringer amp for teaching for the past 6 years. Its a good amp. If you continuously judge a product by its cost then you are a gear snob... not a musician.
    sl1pk0t001
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: Good Lord! Another amateur fooled by Behringer! Dear fellow, Behringer equipment isn't good value for money, it's only cheap. It has the worst components ever made on Earth, it is put together by the less skilled Chinese workers you can find nowadays, and sounds good only compared to a corrugated tin can! If you chose it over a Marshall bcause it was 50% cheaper, you have nothing to do with guitar playing. Music is about sound, you know? No matter how bad is a Marshall MG or a Peavey Vypyr (they both are quite bad), they are light years away of any Behringer. In a couple of months, you'll find out why. Hopefully. Behringer does make some good mix pults, power amps and amp-simulating pedals. But that's about it. If u want a moddeling amp go with a Laney or a Vox. The rest is just cheap cr*p
    man, along with laney and vox, peavey makes a pretty good modeling amps with more features, i have a vypyr 30 and its great, really versatile, not cheap cr*p!
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    grungelive72
    I had the shittier version of this as my first amp! I mean its nothing near loud enough or good sounding enough to gig with, but it was a good old first amp. I still got it!
    BennyBigBollock
    I admit, I know the Behringer are not known to be the best amplifiers, in fact they are no where close. But then again its not crap, and I wouldn't say the Marshall or the Peavey are miles better but they're still good, and I did try out the amps before I bought it, and honestly what do you expect from a 30 watt amp? I'm hardly going to do a gig in a stadium with it, and if I did do a gig with it I would do a line out to a better amp or use the better amp. The reason I bought it was because I needed a portable, light, affordable, loud amp, which I could D.I in a computer or just practice with whilst in Uni, The Behringer does that just fine, I don't think I've been fooled dear fellow.
    rv_phoenix
    Peavey Vypyr is light-years away of this Behringer. So are Vox and Laney. (In fact, Vox are the best, IMHO. MarkoakaNiggaK is right once again.) In fact, a digital modelling from Vox, Peavey or Laney is an amp you might reffer to as I like it/ I don't like it . But Behringer is just crap. Genuine crap. I was using comparison just to make my mind clear. You are right to point that Peavey, Laney or Vox play in another league. Althougt I personally dislike digital modelling and play on all-tube gear. But that's just personal taste. Yesterday I've played, in the music shop I use to get my gear from, on a Vox Valvetronix VTX 150 Pro Series, an all-tube with modelling effects: men, it was a blast! What an amp! Give it a try, you'll be thrilled by what you hear.
    terriblefunk
    OK, Behringer has the worst components (I have seen another things worst tha behringer) But i don't think that you have to tell to the boy "you have nothing to do with guitar playing" Behringer is one of the brands for begginers. Lot of people beggins with this instruments and then learn to realize which is better. Your answer is overeacted. I know the consume of chinnesse products isn't goood for any economy -except for them, or not?- but i think is better that the boy learns to know by himself.
    rv_phoenix
    Well, some of us still use to think that, if you're a rocker, then you only accept the stars for a target. Behringer is just crap, I'm afraid in a couple of months you'll recognise it yourself, when the volume and tone knobes will start to screech, the signal won't come out evenly any more etc. etc. Don't you think we've played on Behringers a while ago? Don't you think we aren't rich people, quite the contrary? In fact, I just wanted to suggest you that you rushed a little. If you saved some 6 months more, you could have access to a decent 6W Fender Champion, for instance: an all-tube, as loud as this Behringer, but with a decent speaker, well built and a great companion for your guitar, that only costs 175 euros in a music shop. Maybe you'll think about it. Nobody deserves to play on such lousy equipment, when the market is full of good stuff at decent prices. Think at my friendly words: YOU DESERVE A BETTER SOUND. What do you say about that?
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    BennyBigBollock wrote: Yes I do agree , with what you are saying, yes I could do with better sound. Let me put you in the situation I was in: given up my job to go to uni, not a lot of money , moving out etc, my only option was to buy what was available at the time, so I tried some amps as you do and the behringer won on price and it did pretty much the same as the others, (even its not the best for sound quality I think we've established that) Remember it also had to be portable (valve amps even the small one weigh a tonne) Trust me I was going to buy a peavey bandit 112 , and some other amps round about that price range of 180-250 but it was money I didn't have. And I didn't want to spend the first 6 months of uni completely amp-less, I had to wait 3 weeks for it to come from amazon, because they messed up the order by sending it to france, which sent me through shear hell! If I had more money then I would have defiantly bought something a lot bigger and better! I would like to point out that you mentioned a decent speaker, Its not the speaker that makes a good sound its the pre-amp that does the work , but If I see one I will give it a try now you've mentioned it , I'm pretty sceptical about fender amps, I've tried them before and they've always been disappointing, to me they're like line 6 guitars, Line 6 make amps not guitars and the guitars look and sound pretty poor, and I feel its the same with fender, they make guitars not amps (even though they were one of the first one on the market to sell amps)
    Ever played a fender amp? I think not. Fender amps are quite amazing quality(at least the tube ones)
    BennyBigBollock
    Yes, yes I have tried fender amps. One of my friends had one , he hated it. I have also used them at some open mic nights i've been to (yes they were tube). Its an aquired taste and Fender focus to an older market (even though there is some stuff for younger generations) ,so personally out of experience, fender amps have always been dissapointing to me, so I maybe a bit incredulous towards fender amps.
    DasHobo
    I've had my VT30 for nearly a year now and I still love it. Granted, I don't gig, but I still really love this amp and haven't heard it do anything weird or degrade at all. Having sat and played through the amps at several music stores (I was hated for a few months while I was figuring out what to buy), the Behringer turned out to be a great purchase at a decent price. Anyone who knocks it simply on price is a snob. Sure there are nicer sounding amps out there, but none that compare for the price range. And the quality has held up pretty damn well considering it gets moved around a lot and played in some not so great conditions (storage unit during a Canadian winter for example). And it's still as good as the day I bought it.
    remidal
    I've got this amp too. I like it...It's got an acceptable clean Channel for the pedal I plug inThe amp has lasted for 2 years nicely.But I play at home and I am not playing gigs nor do I plan to. So this is very acceptable for the price. The thing is...this amp has a 4 omh 10 inches speaker. And like any other cheapo solid state amp the db specs is nowhere to be found. Even little fender amp. I suspect the it's a low db (just like all the cheap fender or Marshall amps)and I wonder what would happen if I replaced the speaker with a 4 omh 100> db. I suspect it would come to life quite nicely. To anyone who have this amp...Don't feel bad if gear snobs snear at you because you bought this amp. It's does the job you know it and you don't have to break the ear drums of anyone for it to come to life like a tube amp. Now if in the future you wil want to get yourself a tube amp. I suggest this one..The Albion TCT 35. It was design by an ex Marshal engineer and it seem to have everything you need plus it won't break the bank as far as price go. I know this will be my next purchase.