HT-5H review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT-5H

Purchased from: Andertons

I use a Gibson USA Les Paul Classic with the stock 498R and 500T ceramic pick ups. This Amp is hooked up to a Framus 2x12 with V30 speakers. I play a variety of music with this amp, anywhere from Neil Young style cleans to Power metal (Helloween, Hammerfall). This amp really can do it all, the cleans nicely break up for that Led Zep crunch and on the OD Channel you can get some nice blues tones then some Slash sounding stuff and then onto heavier sounding stuff. This amp does hiss quite a bit when cranked up on the OD channel but nothing a noise gate wont fix. The clean channel does break up around 11-12 o clock however it doesn't get much louder, just breaks up so you can get a decent clean sound. The ISF knob is quite useful for getting your favourite band's sound. For example on the brit side I can get Led Zep and Slash sound, then when I increase the gain and turn it to the USA, hey presto, Metallica.

This amp suites my genres well and is miles better than the MG I used to play (don't buy those kids) If this was ever stolen I'd try get another one asap. I love this amp and don't see why people go spending thousands on an amp they have to play at 0.5. This amp is awesome!

This amp seems really well built and I doubt it will break soon. The amp is probably OK for small ish gigs but I wouldn't use it for gigging.

I believe this amp to be made in 2009 in Korea. This all tube/valve head puts out 5 watts into either 1x8 ohm, 2x16 ohm or 1x16 ohm and so can be hooked up to a variety of cabs. The Head comes provided with a power cable and 2 speaker cables. A foot Switch is also provided to swap between the clean and over driven channels. On the front there is an emulated out/Headphones, ISF control 3 band EQ, Volume and Gain control for the OD channel and a Volume control for the Clean channel and of course an input. And on the back there is an input for the foot switch and an effects loop. My only complaint is lack of a line in because I like to play along with songs and also some reverb. These are easily overlooked however due to the amazing tone and the pricing. It really is the perfect practise amp.

rocknroll93
    sounds good, i play blues and I am playing some small gigs (jams actually) so this would probably be too small for me.
    heminder
    nice review. is there much by way of tube access? if i remember, the combos had the tubes mounted directly on the main board inside the amp.
    JWZ28
    Thanks, The Amp will do blues nicely.. If you mean jamming with friends with no drummer it would be perfect. The Tubes are easily accessed by taking the back grill off . Any more questions PM me
    TheEchomaker
    Shakalum wrote: why would you buy an amp that you "wouldn't use for gigging?"
    maybe he has one for gigging already and wants a small practice one for his room
    Carrot
    Shakalum wrote: why would you buy an amp that you "wouldn't use for gigging?"
    and the fact its not made for gigging
    howZz
    this might sound dumb, but can you just use a headphone from the emulated output/headphones without connecting the head into a cab?
    guitardude68
    Just received my Blackstar HT-5 combo and love it. Re. the hiss when the OD is turned up...What noise gate do you use??? I'll want to get one for jamming and recording purposes! Also....How the heck does somebody get a Blackstar T-shirt here in the US???
    FreekBos
    The HT-5 is fantastic! I even use it for gigging. I use the Gibson Les Paul studio with the Lexicon MX200 for good reverb/delay. It is possible to gig with the HT-5 but you need to mic the amp. And the PA technician will like it! (Most of the time the guitar amps get cranked up way too loud for PA Purposes.) But the downside is you need to have your own monitor while gigging or else you won't be able to hear you amp stand out the way you like. Next month Blackstar will release the HT-100. I'm going for it and will use the HT-5 for practising. Check out the new HT Venue series from Blackstar!