HT 40 Club review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT 40 Club

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I am using it with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960 with 57 classic pickups (humbuckers). The amp is good for all of the stuff I play on clean, with reverb, and with crunch. The reverb is great, it has a very full tone and brings out the warmth of my les paul. When you hit the overdrive it is a little noisy. When you crank the gain all the way up, you get a very static sound. I don't like that, I like a heavy type of distortion that keeps the clarity to some extent. I does not have that good metal sounding tone. However with pedals you can get that tone. The crunch sound on it is good though. So if you are going to be playing blues, classical, baroque, or soft rock this amp is great. It can even do some hard rock like Guns N' Roses or the Scorpions. don't expect it to do stuff like Pantera or Slayer though. It has enough volume to play at small gigs and some medium gigs (depending on what you consider medium). At high volumes and low volumes, the amp has the same quality sound, it does not get more distorted at high volumes.

I play many genres of music and It is a great amp for some of the things I play. It is good for anything that you play with clean, reverb, or even crunch. However just the amp itself (no pedals) does not have a good distortion. Its always better to buy pedals but this amp needs the overdrive pedal. The gain all the way up sounds like static and you lose the clarity of the notes a lot. Also, simply putting the gain on makes it buzz. On clean though, the amp is perfect. This amp was kind of a stepping stone for me, Its a good amp to gig with until you can get a Marshall. It is basically a Marshall knock-off but it is well woth the money. Personally I think this is one of the best tube amps for the money. I am not really a fan of Fender Amps although I tried some out. Also, I like this amp better then the Vox Amps I tried. Overall It is a decent amp and If you are starting to gig it is a good option to consider.

This amp is very sturdy, I don't think it will break. I would use it at a gig without backup. The amp has never broken down on me. However It is a very heavy amp and If you rely on public transportation, it may be difficult to take with you. The amp is kind of bulky two but It has a loud sound and is a tough amp.

The Blackstar HT-Club 40 is an amp made by ex-Marshall employees. This amp was made in 2010. It is a 40 watt tube amplifier. The amp is pretty versatile. It has really great clean sounds. It has a good crunch sound. But when you crank the gain all the way up it doesnt't sound that good. If you plan on playing heavy stuff, you will need to buy seperate distortion and overdrive pedals. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. For each chanel you can swith the tone of it with a button. You can also shape the tone to be more brithish or american. It has reverb with two types, light and dark. It has effects loop, it has an auxilary jack and a headphone jack. It also comes with a footswitch.