HT 40 Club review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT 40 Club

Price paid: € 580

Purchased from: Reynolds Music, Letterekenny

I use active and passive pickups through this amp, I get a similar tight response from it. It's a bit noisy, but hopefull I will get it sorted when I get my new power adapter, but it's only noisy on the overdriven channel. Thanks to the ISF control, this thing can sound like anything from a Marshall chug to a Fender sparkly clean. And yes, the distortion is quite brutal.

I play heavy metal and heavy rock and this thing suits it perfectly. It's small enough to move around in the back of a car but equipped better than some stacks and a damn sight more reliable. I've been playing for ten years, this was my first valve amp, had solid state Marshalls and Line 6's before this and the sound out of this is better by a country mile, sure it doesn't have the tight response or effects of the Line 6, it's not as light or bulletproof as the Marshall but it's just better. It's beautiful, classic piping and cool as hell sound. If this thing were stolen, I'd be goin a stabbin till I found the thief and then I'd make the remainder of his life a long and painful death. I'd buy this thing again and again, it's got so many things to like. When I was buying it, I compared it to some of the Orange models, I wanted to get a Laney amp, but my local shop doesn't stock Laney.

As it's a Valve amp, I'm quite cautious with this thing. I bought a hardcase just in case to move this thing around safely. I would depend on it alone to use at a gig, but if it cocked up, I always have my pedal buffers to run straight into a PA. I would recommend buying spare tubes for this thing though, just in case so you can swap them out and be back to playing in afew minutes.

Got this amp in 2010 from my local music shop, built in the same year. This amp covers nearly every genre I can think of. It's excellent for rock and metal though. This thing has 2 channels but 2 different voice settings for each channel, a bright switch for the clean and what can only be described as a MORE! Switch for the overdriven channel. It has an effects loop, an emulated out which allows for direct recording and amp emulation. This thing has all the controls you need and can help you get any sound with the EQ and ISF control(this has been covered a lot so may as well just leave you to read it yourself). I use this amp to gig and practice, it's very versatile and can play low enough to practice in a bedroom and loud enough to rock the rafters of any venue. The only reason I'm giving it an 8 is due to the electrical supply. From what I hear this is a common valve amp problem, if the power supply fluctuates it creates some serious hum and buzz. No matter where I put my noise suppressor, it doesn't work. So I'm gonna have to fork out 100 to get a new power adapter. Thank you Irish ESB.

shredder3386
    Just bought this amp. Its an aboluste beast and has amazing cleans and a sweet OD channel.