HT 60 Stage review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT 60 Stage

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

I'm using an Ibanez s series with the stock INF, Ibanez pickups as well as a Mexican Strat. eI'm playing in a post-hardcore/post-rock band, and we Switch a lot between clean and distorted tones and its perfect for it. Even when I want to sit down and just mess around, the tones and sounds I can get from it are ridiculous. I'll be playing John Mayer's cover of Hendrix's "Wait Until Tomorrow" and get a sparkly clean, but thick Strat sound even with my Ibanez, and then go play Megadeth's Tornado of Souls with the footswitch. For those metalcore/deathcore friends, it has a nice chug, and a tight low end. I wanted to be able to go from those Vox like tones and switch to something modern all in the same amp and it does that. Anything in between, though, I'm less impressed with, which I'll get to. As for headroom, this amp is pretty awesome. At 60 watts, it has plenty of clean headroom. The rest of my band will be playing at a loud part of the song, the other guitarist playing some lead or riff with a lot of distortion and my clean parts still cut through without breaking up. It is loud. I am competing with a 100 watt 5150 with a 4x12 cab, and I can still be heard over that, a bass player, and a loud drummer. I haven't gigged with it yet, but we practice in a basement, which is probably where we'll have most of our first shows, so I'm betting it will sound great even there. There are only two "problems" I have with this amp: 1.) It doesn't really do any one sound particularly well. And, it's not really that great for that "dirty" classic rock tone. I'd see bands like Rise Against, Senses Fail, Thursday and etc being played on this amp then I would Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, ACDC and bands like that. It has a great modern edge to it for metal and deathcore, and scene bands like The Devil Wears Prada, but for some reason the OD channels, even with the use of the ISF feature, can't really get that "vintage" sound out of it. I mean, trying to play a really dirty rock'n'roll sound that an Orange or similar amp can deliver, just can't happen on this amp. A lot of this probably has to do with how compressed and tight the distortion is, but I think a tube/speaker change or even putting a pedal through it would help. 2.) I remember playing around with it on the HT-5 when trying it out, and it really changed the tone that I heard. It's seems less distinct on the Ht-60, and the changes are more subtle. Maybe I'm just hearing it wrong or something, but it seems like it affects the sound less on this one.

This is a great match. Its versatile enough for my needs. I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and this is by far the most versatile and great sounding for this price range, especially since I got it used without the footswitch from Musiciansfriend. Other amps with this amount of tweakability is going to cost you upwards of 1200, and here you can get it for 899. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely get this amp again. I love this amp for what it is. It gives me tube tone, and with enough options to tweak my sound. I will say that the Blackstar is great for modern tones, and even some blues/jazz tones with the sparkly clean channel, but for those wanting a more "dirty" Vintage sound, then they should think of trying other amps. I bought it because of its versatility, and for the price.

I've owned it three months, and have kept it on for about 4 hours a weekend (two hour practices Friday and Saturday) and I've heard no problems with the amp. Amp has not broken done as of yet. So we shall see.

2009? I'm not really sure. There is so much that I can tweak, with the resonance and presence controls as well as the one clean and two distortion/O.D. channels. The clean channel has its own Treble, Bass, Volume controls as well as a tone button that allows you change the character of the sound. The difference with the tone thing is pretty obvious, one going for a sparkly Vox-like sound, to a more rick, dark sound that emphasizes the low end. In the OD1 and OD2 channels we get a gain and volume knob for each channel, and a 3 band EQ and the ISF knob to control both channels. It also has a knob for the ISF or infinite shape feature, which allows you to turn the sound from a tight, American sound, or for a more British flavor. Its got a reverb, which is footswitchable. 2xECC83, 1xECC82 in the preamp section, 2xEL34's in the power section. I'm currently using this in a 4 piece band (another guitar, bassist, drummer). It is versatile in that the clean channel can go from really sparkly, chimey clean tones for blues, classic rock, jazz etc, and the O.D. channels you can go from classic rock to more modern sounds. Its sounds great from playing anything from say, Stevie Ray Vaughn to Necrophagist. It has plenty of headroom in the clean section, so that it won't overdrive in even a band setting (unless of course you bring down the master and crank the volume in the clean section). It also has an effects loop, headphone jack, and several ohm outputs for different cabs.

wocypke
    In this whole review, the word 'bad' appeared only 2 (now 3 times, actually) times, and it didn't even have a negative connotation concerning the amp. Also, I've got one standing right behind me, and I totally agree if you say me that it's a ****ing great amp!
    axuality
    Yes, I just bought a Stage 60. It is amazing. I use nothing but the clean channel because I'm clean half the time, and use a pedal the other half. The clean channel goes HUGELY loud and stays clean. And on the other facet of the clean channel, it starts getting dirty at very low volume like an old tube amp of the 50's or 60's and it is so smooth. It's like HAVING one of those old amps except they always lacked the cement balls that this Blackstar has. And it is LOUD. And the speakers, even though not Celestions most expensive, sound like a group of pissed off grizzly bears with vocal cords of concrete, 6" from your face. And I discovered that on the bottom of the amp are sockets for screw-in casters. You want to look for #10 casters, whatever that means. Menard's or Lowe's should have them for about 8-$20 per set.
    goldie1098
    ahh thanks needed to know that because getting one soon , so i can keep up with the drumer on loudness !
    RobbieCameron
    The Stage 60 is a working man's amp. The word "Stage" in the name isn't marketing hype. Consider that the guys behind the company were engineers at Marshall, and this is their version of a pro-combo amp for live playing. In other words, it's meant to be played pretty loud! The character of the amp, just like a Marshall or Boogie, is realized at stage volume. If you're looking for a practice amp, this beast is way overkill. You're not going to achieve the tube amp ecstasy this amp can deliver by turning the gain up in order to create an overdrive sound at low volumes. Instead, just like a Marshall, the volume knob gets turned way up first, and then Gain is added until the right OD tone is found by adjusting between the two. One thing I found helpful was running a modded Boss GE-7 EQ in front of the input channel, for a little clean boost with slight EQ shaping. Once again, a classic technique used for decades with Marshalls and not surprising it sounds fantastic with this amp. I've read endless complaints about the Celestion 70/80 speakers the amp ships with. It takes a while to break these in. Out of the box they sound very "tight" and a little edge, which is a good sign to me that once they've flexed a little they'll handle stage volumes. Even expensive studio monitors need to be broken in. For comparison I connected the amp to a cab loaded with G12H and one with Vintage 30s, and I must say the G12H cab sounded very rich and refined. Will give the 70/80s more time to wear in and see after that.
    ctgblue
    By chance, did you play the Solo 60? I am looking for a 112 combo, this weighs the same as the 40 and has the presence and 'boost' switch with an OD voice button that the stage does not have. I am looking for high gain at low voolumes (but I have an attenuator) that I can also lug to a buddies place to jam with. I am selling my carvin V3212 as it is just too BIG.
    smsolivier
    can someone who has this amp tell me if only one of the preamp tubes lights up really bright. i bought it awhile ago and just noticed that. wondering if it's a problem or not.
    Irishman94
    @ metalxsymphony > Turn (Treble 5 oclock) (Middle 5 oclock) (Bass 5 oclock) (ISF five oclock)(Resonance 11 oclock) (Presence 12 oclock) (Volume 5 o clock) (Gain 11 o clock) and master at whatever you want on OD1 with the voice switch out and you shall have your "dirty classic rock tone" Tell me how you get on...
    Irishman94
    Oh yeah! The clean channel would be ok-ish but you wont get a good distortion at apartment volume. Maybe try the HT-20 or HT-5. What are you looking for as such???
    flyfshr
    want to get one next year with my tax refund, for now my ht1r does nicely as a practice amp
    Hunter2081
    My review should be going up soon. To anybody hesitating, don't this amp is really flexible, versatile, and so very easy t work with. Truly great amp, even the clean/chrunch was better then a vox ac30, which was what I intended to buy until I played this.
    zzhi63
    In this New Year occasion, a buy to open its online activities, where the order of more than 200 U.S. dollars, have a gift bask (=== http://www.bingshop.us/ =====) free shipping accept the paypal Best quality, Best reputation , Best services === http://www.bingshop.us/ ===== === http://www.bingshop.us/ ===== jordan air max oakland raiders $3439; Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25; Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25; coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36; coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18; === http://www.bingshop.us/ ===== === http://www.bingshop.us/ =====