HT Club 40 Vintage Pro Limited Edition review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT Club 40 Vintage Pro Limited Edition

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: Second hand

I've got the Limited Edition "Vintage Pro" version with the Vintage 30 speaker and the red tolex. Looks great and sounds even better. It was build in 2013 or 2014 I think, somewhere overseas but it's very well put together.

I play a Epiphone G400 1966 Ltd. Ed. "TV Silver". It features a 2 piece mahogany body and neck, 22 vintage frets, Gibson scale length, '60s taper neck (not fat like a '58 LP, not thin like an Ibanez or something), rosewood fretboard, 2 Alnico 5 humbuckers with coil-split, 2 tone and 2 volume controls, a TOM bridge, Grover tuners, a nice gloss finish and the standard SG body style.

The amp came with a footswitch (channel and reverb controls) a power cable and some books and stickers.

The amp features the following:

• Artisan tolex and black paper fret
  • Limited edition badge
  • 40 Watt valve combo
  • 2xECC83, 2xEL34
  • Two footswitchable channels
  • 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker
  • Enhanced tone controls
  • Patented Infinite Shape Feature (ISF)
  • Clean voice switch
  • Overdrive voice switch
  • Master volume
  • Digital reverb with dark/bright switch
  • Speaker emulated output
  • Effects loop
  • 2-way footswitch included
  • Cool vintage styling

I play mostly '80s metal (Dio, Ozzy Osbourne, Ratt, Dokken, Saxon, Van Halen and so on) and blues/bluesy rock (Foghat, AC/DC, Johnny Winter, Led Zep, Buddy Guy, Rose Tattoo, ZZ Top and so on). The amp suits my playing very well, you can dial it in as a vintage American blues sound, Marshall style blues sound, British crunch, British gainy, Soldano/Peavey/Mesa style gainy and much more. The amp has a very nice bottom end, the mids are very noticeable but you can dial it down a little if you prefer that, and the highs go from fat blues tone to screaming '80s solos. It's not noisy in anyway, I really like the standby switch. It's dead silent but still keeps the tubes warm. It's such a versatile amplifier.

It's very loud! But it sounds really good even in bedroom situations because of the master volume. It will do very well in a live situation. This amp is probably gonna last you a lifetime, it's very well put together and doesn't feel flimsy in any way at all. I think you could easily tour with it, you can pick it up with just one hand and it's loud enough for most gigs (although I haven't tested it!). If you play in a band that does all kinds of different covers it's nice to have a bunch of tones within the turn of knob.

It's a great match for me, it does everything I want and isn't too big or clumsy to take with me. I've been playing for about 7 years but this is my first owned tube amp. I've played other tube amps before but this is the first one I personally own. There's lots of good reviews and demos online so even if you can't try it out yourself you can get a pretty good impression of how it sounds. If it got stolen I'd probably get the same amp but in a head and cab version. I love the awesome tones and master control, too bad it doesn't overdrive that easily on low volumes but hey it's good enough. I personally like the blues tones and metal tones best. In comparison to my old Roland Cube I much prefer this, sounds way better in my opinion.

jamesperry157
    I have one of these and have had it since November. Brilliant am. Not only does it look stunning but sounds amazing and the ISF switch lets you go from British rock sound to USA rock sound. Highly recommended for any intermediate guitar player who wants a valve amp and hasn't got to break the bank. Find one of these for between £300-£450 and you have an amp for life.
    arjan2602
    Oh and if anyone wants to exchange amp settings just send me a message. I've got some cool settings if anyone has a hard time dialing in some good tones.