HT Metal 100 review by Blackstar

Blackstar: HT Metal 100

Purchased from: andertons

Here I have my Blackstar HT 100 Metal its a very well put together metal machine here is what Blackstar say: Blackstar HT 100 Metal Head, all-tube amphead for electric guitar, 100 watt, 2 x ECC83, 1 x ECC82, 4 x thomann 6L6, 3 switchable by foot switch channels, patented infinite shape feature (ISF) clean voice switch, resonance control, presence control, master volume, digital reverb with dark/bright switch, speaker emulated output with 1x12 and 4x12 sounds, effects loop with effects level switch, thomann including 4-way foot switch (clean, OD1, OD2, reverb).

My style of music is groove metal. I need a amp with a good gain structure with good note clarity and a monstrous bottom end I have tried Engls, Marshall, Peavey, Mesa etc. and all though I can't knock them I find a nice tone oozing from this amp maybe as its voice for metal and well that's my thing. There is more than enough gain on tap her but I use a Maxon OD808 to tighten everything up. I play a ESP Eclipse CTM 1 and a ESP Horizon NT and both axes scream through this it remains very defined at hi gains and seems built like a tank.

The one thing I knocked of a bit of the score for was the noise. I run a ISP Decimator 2 in the loop and boom whisper quite. So beware of the hum you get. The clean has a bass and treble but not middle I found this rather odd but instead there is a voice button one gives a boutique-esque sound slightly overdriven and dirty sounding and the other more American rich and deep sounding this is the one I use and I find with the reverb and chorus it's very Metallica-like and just what I like. But I'm sure if you want to play around there are multiple options to the clean and OD channels. One thing I will say the dials are sensitive and respond to the slightest touch.

This amp is a beast and is a tank very solidly built. I am sure this will remain a workhorse of an amp Blackstar make very well put together amps I believe this is a underrated and unknown gem in there line. I would gig with this with out a thought of a back up. The finish and parts seem of a top notch and the stock tubes seem nice and work every time I've had no problems at all I mean a lot of people will see this amp and see the price tag with out even diving it a whirl well I believe that would be a mistake I've play 3000 amps that don't beat this just worth a go it's not for everyone but shouldn't be passed up by gear snobbery.

For what I play this suits my needs completely I am happy with this and a bargain at the price. I have been playing 16 years and tried a ton of gear and I must say this is up there with some of the top amps I've tried. The only thing I wish it had was a separate eq for OD 1 and 2 and a middle on the clean but to be fair I can dial in my tone no issue so its not over all a major issue. If it was lost or stolen I would replace it just because of the build quality and the sound you can dial in super easy with this.

xuan8839
    Engl, mashall, peavey or mesa could not get you note clarity with huge bottom end and blackstar did. I smell something fishy in this review.
    guitarninjama
    Blackstar amps and actually almost everything they make is amazing haha. I would take a Blackstar amp over a Marshall or an EVH in a heartbeat