ID:Core 100 review by Blackstar

Blackstar: ID:Core 100

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

I purchased my Blackstar ID:Core 100 from my local music shop as a replacement/upgrade for my Line 6 Spider IV 75, and boy let me tell you what an upgrade it truly is. On top of the ID:Core is where we find all the controls, which I find much more aesthetically pleasing than front-based controls. These control features include 5 different amp voices, a gain control, a channel volume, bass, mid, treble, ISF control, effects selector, effect controller, a master volume, and a tap tempo button, as well as 9 programmable channels. On top of all that, Blackstar products offer their Insider software for free, which can be used to control your amplifier through your Mac/PC and also offers an online community for sharing custom made tones. The ID:Core also offers what they (very aptly) call Superwide Stereo, utilizing the two 10" speakers to maximum efficiency. Seriously its un-freakin'-believable. They also offer a built-in noise gate for the two overdrive channels.

This amp is incredibly versatile, with its 5 different amp voices you can get anything from super jazzy cleans to heavy deathcore tones and everything in between. With the ISF control, you can truly tweak your tones infinitely. With the included FS-13 two-button footswitch you can activate the looper. The looper has a 30-second length, however, you can add an infinite number of overdubs to your initial loop. If you also incorporate the FS-12 five-button footswitch, you now have access to all 36 different programmable channels as well as a chromatic tuner.

This amp is super lightweight, especially for it being a 210. It's a fraction of the weight of my Spider IV 75 which was an 112. It's easily a two-finger lift. I haven't gigged it yet, but I have cranked it up. With the master volume at 9 and channel volume at 7, this is thing gets so ridiculously loud it can be used to gig a 100+ show.

Overall impression? Jaw-dropping. I was initially on the fence between this and the Boss Katana and I'm 1000% sure I made the right choice in picking the Blackstar!!! The amount of amp you get at such a low price-point is unbeatable in my opinion. It's the perfect amp for anyone, from beginners to professionals. It is more ergonomic and intuitive than the Spider IV while accomplishing the same things (more or less). I love Blackstar, and in me, they have found a life-long customer rest assured.

Iceman10129
    My $2000 doesnt even get a 10/10 from me. Guess I should have gone solid state modeling.
    NHECOS
    What a fucking surprise! Another perfect piece of gear!!! Anyways, withing this range of amps, the Boss Katana is WAY better!
    svelle
    I tried out this amp a few months ago. It's nice and has a decent sound and set of features for the price tag. But definitely NOT a 10!