Uberschall review by Bogner

Bogner: Uberschall

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a Fender Jaguar HH through two big pedalboards and an old peavy cab. My Bogner puts up with them great. I usually play experimental, hardcore, progressive, and anything else thrown at me. This head can do all of that stuff and more after minor tweaking. The clean channel is dead silent with unwanted noise, and it is very quiet unless you turn up the gain knob. It LOVES effects pedals, so this channel really shines when you throw in some reverb and delay. Even at high volumes, this baby pretty much stays crystal clear. The distortion channel is definitely the high point of this amp. Even without any boost pedals, it delivers everything from a bluesy crunch to the most brutal metal tones on the market. Watch out for that bass knob though, this amp can deliver the low end! The amp basically defines every note you play and makes it Shine, even at the high gain settings. The feedback is very controllable, and sounds unreal when used at appropriate times. Not exaggerating, this is probably my favorite amp on the market, mesas being second.

The Uberschall is suited for just about any music style to my ears (don't believe that it is a metal amp). I have been playing or about 3 years now and I found this used at Guitar Center. After the first note I had to have it. I have no regrets what'soever getting it, as it is my favorite piece of gear. If it were stolen or lost, I would have no idea what I would do. I couldn't get another one because of the price, and would probably have to settle with a much cheaper head for the time being. In my personal opinion, this is the best head on the market. If you have the money, please don't hesitate!

This head seems to be built like a tank except for the Bogner logo. Then again, it is on a woven grille since it was custom made. It has never broken down on me once, and delivers gig after gig, night after night. This thing is my baby, and I would be crushed if anything happened to it. Nothing will though, with proper care (and a roadcase I plan on getting soon).

This particular Bogner Uberschall head was made around 2006. It has two easy to use channels with a huge LED strip illuminating all of the words above. These also indicate which channel you are on. This is very convenient onstage. It has a fantastic effects loop which barely colors the tone at all when engaged. Delays sound much better after tweaking. It runs in either mono or stereo and has an ohm selector knob (kind of hard to turn). Since mine was used, it didn't come with a footswitch. I use basically all of the features as they are basic and practical. The amp is 120 watts tube, so it is obviously loud enough to handle any gig.

Ippon
    The Uberschall Twin Jet is another option, so brutal.
    Raaaaar
    these pwn most metal amps..the rivera knucklehead, diezels etc..high end Engls, Mesa Mark iv, triple recto and this are my favourites.
    SideshowRaven24
    Logan_B wrote: So i was lookin at this and what would be an average price of it.....do you think it would sound good with an Ibanez GRG170DX with D'Addario Light Top Heavy Bottoms?...im trying to replicate either an Avenged Sevenfold sound or Alter Bridge
    most definitely.
    SideshowRaven24
    RG_FANMAN wrote: SideshowRaven24 wrote: RG_FANMAN wrote: Damn, I want one of these really, really bad. Too bad the head alone would be my amp budget. :-p I'm glad to see a review for this amp that says it can do all sorts of styles...most harmony central reviews say it's only a brutal death metal amp with a horrid clean channel. Sure as hell does sound that way (literally)! Does Teppei from Thrice use one of these? you could try the combo out. i personally love the cleans. And im pretty sure teppei uses one. Seeing them soon! They make a combo version? really? And i meant to say it sure as hell DOESN'T sound that way. I've listened to the soundclips of the Uber's cleans on the bogner website, and they seemed to go from classical-style clean, to heavy blues crunch. BTW, from looking at your profile, you seem to play similar music to me, although I do have a habit of playing a lot of heavier stuff in addition (SYL to Mastodon to Converge for a very vague idea). Can the Uber handle it all?
    Ventor
    qotsa1998 wrote: Claudio from Coheed and cambria used one of these for awhile, most likely on the first album. I kno Synister Gates uses one of these as well. Most ppl put this amp in the same category as a Triple Rec and a 5150. Don't these things cost an arm and a leg tho?
    The Uberschall blows both those amps away. I recently acquired one and compared to a 5150 from a friend the sound quality is so much better.
    Logan_B
    RG_FANMAN
    SideshowRaven24
    schecter ftw wrote: How much do these things start at?? I'm considering getting one.
    i got mine used for 2500. Get ready to spend a solid 3000 new, mine was just a gift from god haha.
    Sound Mind
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_San... he still uses Uberschalls.
    qotsa1998
    RG_FANMAN
    Widow6
    -Led-Zeppelin- wrote: lol bogner is 1 letter different from my last name, it basically looks like it
    Dear lord I hope your last name isn't boner. Amazing amps, though. They're phenomenal with metal, not much else though
    Spoony_Bard
    I think he means don't think that these are only made for metal. They're ****ing brutal. I love these heads.
    cloud041089
    it's not a metal amp? doesnt a7x use this? they're not metal, but they've got an awesome heavy tone.
    webbtje
    I'm surprised this wasn't reviewed before. Awesome amp; if it's good enough for the Behemoth tone, it's damn well good enough for me.
    Ventor
    SideshowRaven24 wrote: RG_FANMAN wrote: oh yeah, it sure can handle it all. a word of advice; to get the truly best distortion, put an ibanez tube screamer and a boss noise supressor first in your pedal chain, and keep them on when the distortion channel is on. That would be ideal for your Converge or Mastodon sound. Are you seriously considering picking one up? If so, we can start a little club haha.
    An Uberschall does not need a TS at all, it has enough gain and it's all 100% usable, unlike other high gain amps. I play it with maxed gain all the time and it stays tight as hell. This is one of the only amps that does not need stompboxes (except a noisegate). Only thing you might need is some effects (delay, reverb, chorus, ...) in the effects loop.