Grill Review

manufacturer: Breket Amplifiers date: 10/08/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Breket Amplifiers: Grill
To compare it with others, I'd say, its sound comes closest to Fender. For the money I would have had many options to consider, but having this unique sound is priceless.
 8.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Grill Reviewed by: sacreb, on october 08, 2014

Purchased from: Tallinn, Estonia

Features: Breket "Grill." Handbuilt in spring 2014, Estonia. The master who builds Breket amps, has been messing around with tubes for 50 years now, and he's musician. It is one of the most important requirements to understand how tubes and sound work together as he said.

Controls:

Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume
3-way switch - Clean, Drive, More drive
2-way switch - Bright/Mellow

Tubes:

1x 6n2p (12AX7/ECC83)
1x 6p14p (American 6BQ5 and the European EL84)

Output:

Single ended
4.5W @ 8ohm

Amplifier chassis is put into soviet electric radiator, which is made from perforated metal sheet, which makes it really safe to carry around. // 9

Sound: DRIVE is the word! As those tubes get warm, this little single ended amp becomes an instrument of it's own. Mostly I would say, it seems like truehead blues amp, especially, with "more drive" setting on. With this, those tubes really start to shine. It seems too easy to get that bluesy Hendrix sound from it, along with rich and full stoner metal riffs.

Those '60-'70s hand-wired soviet transformators are pure gold. Combined with mellow sounded soviet NOS tubes, it becomes one of a kind in this big world of amps. At high volumes, there is practically no noise at all, only what single coils pick up. By the way, people in Estonia highly appreciate Brekets noiseless clean. With this small beast, you cannot get clean too loud, before it starts to break, but no noise at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's been 6 months now, that I've played with it in studio, gigs and at home and has had no problems at all. Once I burned fuse due to switching too quickly from STBY to ON, but I always have spare ones hidden inside. To reach control knobs, you have to lean down a bit and give a little effort but that is no problem, just a bit uncomfortable, but soon enough one gets used to it. I would definitely take it to gigs without backup, when I could play through mic, but I don't 'cause with tube amps you never know. One slight drawback is that drive switch ain't footswicthable, but it's 10 min job to make it so. Most of the times I use it with "more drive," so it's no biggie. // 9

Overall Impression: When I first got hands on Grill, I knew it's going to be mine. But it was only the beginning. Today, 6 months later, I'm proud owner of 4 Brekets and do not even look forward to get something else. Why? It's because I go to the master, tell him what I want and he makes it happen. That's how things supposed to work. Of course getting right parts for right amp is sometimes real pain in the a-s, but totally worth the time and money. I mostly play blues, punk, ambient, stoner and it's a definite match for my Japanese strat.

To compare it with others, I'd say, its sound comes closest to Fender. If anything at all would happen to it, I would crave years, as it's kind of impossible to make identical one, due to those vintage transformators as their hearts. For conclusion I'd say that this is a masterpiece IMHO, or I just love it so much. For the money I would have had many options to consider, but having this unique sound is priceless. // 10

Comments