1960 infinium Review

manufacturer: Bugera date: 07/16/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Bugera: 1960 infinium
This amp just seems to be the joker wild, the only downside is its weight, it is heavy, but if you want vintage sound and style this is the price you must pay.
 8.5
 8.5
 8.4
 1,021
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
1960 infinium Reviewed by: GNOW, on july 16, 2015

Purchased from: 400.00

Features: Straight forward with standard treble, mid, and bass controls as well as Vol 1 and Vol 2 and a presence control. The back panel has a master vol which is bypass-able which is makes obtaining that classic dimed Marshall tone at reasonable volumes. The back also features an effects loop though I admittedly haven't occasioned to use it. Two speaker outputs and a 4, 8, and 16 ohm switch for multiple cab usage. The real neat thing is the auto bias "Infinium" tech. You also have the ability to cascade channels giving you imminence control over gain structure. In short its a nuthin fancy, everything you need nothin' you don't amp. // 8

Sound: I've played just about any style of music through this amp with SG's Les Pauls, Dot 335 as well as P basses Ric 4003 and EB-3. Not the best for country but it could definitely be used for it. Think rock and metal, from Led Zeppelin to AC/DC or really anyone associated with the classic Marshall tone including the late great Jack Bruce. While the guitar sound is good it's use as a bass amp is were this amp thunders (loudly) and will easily fit the bill for but the loudest of gigs. I use a Marshall MX412 for guitar and a Peavey 410 or Vox Super Beatle bass cab and they all sound very rich and full with a massive tube tone. thanks to the cascaded channels gain structure can go from pretty choppy to that silky smooth gain of a Vox amp. It doesn't have any twang or chime but the clean tone is just as well of without it. the one area were I personally found this amp lacking is the mid breakup tone, where it was just to choppy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not traveled to terrible much, but it has stood up well to that which I have, nor have I had to test the auto bias system as the tubes have held up thus far. If I had a doubt as to its reliability I would probably just get another as a backup. All the knobs seem sturdy and the jacks all hold well. The tolex seems pretty resistant to any abuse and looks simply awesome, though the little bulldog logo might be a bit much. The Bugera logo itself doesn't come out easy, as I replaced it with a ships brass plaque. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, it's a poor man's plexi and I'd buy 3 more of these as opposed to anything else, and at 399. I'd probably save money anyway. Does it stack up to a $3000. Boutique amp, no. Is it worth the money, absolutely yes. Could it be better, sure but so could a Marshall plexi, I tried to be subjective as possible but this amp just seems to be, for me the joker wild, the only downside is its weight, it is heavy, but if you want vintage sound and style this is the price you must pay. So would I recommend it to a friend, most definitely! // 9

Comments