1990 review by Bugera

Bugera: 1990

I mainly use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with Seymour Duncan pickups for gigging. The 990 handles these pickups well. The 990 is not a noisy amp at all. I have experienced very little hum from it. It has a very nice clean channel that can become crunchy at higher volumes, but that is the way I like to use it. I normally keep the bass and high frequencies at 12 o'clock and boost the mids a bit so I can cut through the mix and it handles it very well.

This amp suits my style of Classic/Modern rock perfectly. If you are looking to get the sound of a Marshall for half the price, you need to buy this head. I have been playing a few years and was in the market for a cost-effective halfstack and the 990 answered that need very nicely.

I originally ordered a re-boxed 990 from GC and it cut out on me almost right away. I sent it back and got a Brand New one and have had no problems with it. As far as construction goes, it is built like a tank. I also got the Bugera 4x12 cab and that is also built to last. I have had no issues with it in a practice environment where it could be used for 3 hours or more or gigging.

The Bugera 990 features 2 channels with separate gain and reverb for each channel which is great since I don't use much reverb on the high-gain channel. It comes with a footswitch which controls both the channel and toggles the reverb on and off. The standard footswitch is nice since a majority of manufacturers make you pay extra for them. It is a 120 watt head and has more power than I really need, but the pentode/triode switch on the back of the head makes it a great for both practice and gigs. I play mainly classic/modern rock, but this head can do metal in a heartbeat.

Lester_molester
    Rio38
    SeanX3187
    Rio38 wrote: Lester_molester wrote: so Rio38, you gave it a 9 for reliability after openly saying your first one needed to be replaced? just because your brand new one hasn't broken yet, doesn't mean it never will. you can't judge reliability on a month or two. i had mine for 7 months before i posted a review. That could have happened with any amp, especially a re-boxed item. I can judge reliability based on how I use it and how it stood up to it so far. People give the Bugeras a bad rap. They are pretty solid amps for the price you pay for them.
    lots of people i know have said some decent things about Bugeras, but the 1990 i was using didn't live up to those things. But i'm still trying to hit up the 1960, i hear that one's a decent amp.