333XL review by Bugera

Bugera: 333XL

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I play with an Epiphone Les Paul Classic with a dimebucker in the bridge and the distortion is pretty awesome. The lead channel has plenty of distortion so I can play bands like Metallica, Megadeth, and pantera, but with a little tweaking I can get a savatage and Symphony X tone out of it. The clean channel is also pretty good. In my opinion it's a little bright but that's probably just the pickup I'm using. The crunch channel is decent to get AC/DC-ish sounds out of, but I haven't really messed around with it too much. This amp can go from sparkling clean to over the top distortion with no problem and that's what I really like about it.

Overall this is a pretty awesome amp. It's a full tube half stack for a decent price. It has the awesome tone of a tube which really cleans up the playing. It is a huge increase in tone and clarity from my solid state, but it doesnt't have all the built in effets the SS did. It handles my playing styles without a problem and if it were stolen I would definately get a new one (prob go with 2X12 'cause it's cheaper so I could buy some pedals). No complaints about anything on the amp. The best feature is the lead channel which puts out some seriously heavy distortion. I was choosing between this and the Line 6 spider valve and this thing owns the spider in tone and features. I would definately recommend this amp to anyone Who wants to get a tube amp without spending their life savings.

It seems fairly reliable so far, I've only had it for a little while so I can't say whether it would break or not. Seems pretty rock solid and the footswitch is a tank so no worries there. It's just really freakin heavy, but what else do you expect. Overall, it's an amp, just don't be an idiot and drop it and you shouldn't have a problem.

I bought this amp brand new (2008) and it features 3 channels, each with their own equalizer and volume comtrol, a master volume, a master presence, a noise gait, and a master reverb. The crunch and lead channels also have seperate gain controls as well as the XL switch that boosts the gain. It also has an effects loop (not to be confused with built in effects) but honestly I don't really know what it does right now because I don't have any pedals. Overall this is a pretty decent amp with tons of gain, which is great because I like to play metal. it's all tube so you really get the clarity and tone of a tube even with the heavy distortion. The only thing that I don't really like so far is the fact that the noise gate is meh and teh reverb isnt the best I've ever heard, but neither are bad by any means. It also came with a footswitch which was really nice. My only with is for some effects but nothing else.

Brendan.Clace
    Les Paul Ell wrote: Brendan.Clace wrote: rzemon wrote: These amps are produced by Behringer, probably the worst ever guitar electronics manufacturer. I've played this head and it's weak as hell. I wouldn't recomend it to anybody. You are a dumbass. Behringer does not MAKE these amps at all. Bugera is its own entity. Behringer just promotes and carries them under their wing. How else do you think that Bugera can keep their amps so cheap? These are INCREDIBLE amplifiers for the price. Bugera is the new low budget high gain amplifier. There is no need to be paying 3 and 4k for an amp head, especially if the only difference is the quality of the pots. Bugera has had some issues with some of the amps (not THAT many), but so does every amp company. Anyways, I really think that if you walk into the store, pick up a decent guitar, and plug in, you will be totally blown away by how much this amp ROCKS! The price - tone ratio is insane for these things. Definitely worth a check out!!!! Do they pay you monthly or weekly?
    Not at all, that is an honest opinion of someone that has played one....unlike the person I am quoting.
    Les Paul Ell
    Do they pay you monthly or weekly?
    Brendan.Clace
    rzemon
    phenom1991
    HeavyMetalHokie
    i just had mine break after four months. it is a great amp for the price, but broke is broke. theyre fixing it for free under warranty but i had to pay shipping there, $$$, and its gonna be a while. this still wouldnt change me buying it, i have my jackson soloist in drop C and i can hear every note clear. awesome amp for high gain music.
    Demonikk
    First post Interested in one of these but the reviews on this site are so unreliable most of the time :/
    Marko Pollo
    I own this amp and have been playing it for 6 months. I think it is a fantastic amp and have had ZERO problems with it (just like the other 3 Behringers I own). I've been playing guitar for 29 years and this amp rocks like no other. I admit never having owned a Mesa so I can't compare. I have owned 6 or 7 Marshalls including a 100 watt DSL and I like this amp better than any other. The true test of this amp comes when you fire it up at the music store and it makes you sound better than you have ever sounded. Don't take anyone's word for it, just play it. If you don't know how to set tone controls just stick with a Line 6 and sound adequate like everyone else.
    HeavyMetalHokie
    yes this amp could handle what youre looking for, you just gotta go out and play it to see for sure. i play in a hardcore band and it handles dropped tuning very well and sounds awesome with tons of distortion
    minchew
    Ok. I've seen this at a local shop for $400. I play in a metal core band (B4MV, Atreyu) so would this amp work for me. I also like to play a lot of alternative and classic rock. Any replies would help.
    joshb86
    I am a huge mesa fan. Nothing has even pleased me as much as the dual rectifier. I picked up this head a few weeks ago and am VERY pleased. Different tone stock but what it can do is simply amazing... I don't think you can find an amp this good for 2x the price or more, and i've played through tons of amps. Bugera gets my vote, hell of a job with this head.
    bobogeneration
    got my 333xl shipped from germany last week, it survived intact despite some incompetent shipping people so it undoubtedly took a few knocks on the way (i live in ireland)... the amp sounded great before i even played with the equalisers and any teething problems i heard of regarding reliablity were unfounded (so far anyway).. the tones unbelievable, especially for the price, the noisegate could be better but at high gain the notes ring through with total clarity and effects dont alter the tone too much, the cleans are great and work well with effects.. id place the lead tone somewhere between a mesa dual recto and a peavey 6505+ and the crunch channel is similar to a marshall jcm
    magdream
    tnx for the reply. I hope that's all it is. is there another fuse for the power tubes? cause the amp still turns on otherwise. The amp's less than a year old and I don't think it's gotten much play so the tubes should still be fine. I know it sounded good when it worked.
    BeerChurch
    magdream wrote: I too have this amp and love it. or should I say, loved it. it just stopped working one day. it turns on and the channels switch, but no sound. the tubes aren't firing up and I doubt they all blew at once. I bought mine used and the guy I bought it from is looking for the receipt so I can have it fixed under the warranty. as previously described, this is a great sounding amp, especially for the price. nice clean, ac/dc like crunch and great suststaing distortion that's almost mesa like, and I should know cause I also have a roadking. I planned on selling the rk but if reliability is going to be an issue I'm gonna have to take a hit on the bugera. too bad cause I really like it despite the lead channel being a bit noisy. please let me know what your problems have been so I can let the techs know what to possibly look for. thanks.
    It's just the power tubes. These things ship with the bias incorrectly set and they'll blow the fuse. Have it biased...maybe a new set of power tubes. When these amps are set up properly they sound fantastic.
    magdream
    Putrefaction
    I'm thinking of buying the Bugear 333xl with a Randall RS125CX cab, with a Jackson WRMG Warrior, think it would go together well?
    Demonikk
    Chikao42 wrote: Demonikk: If you can afford one, then just go try one out, if you like it then go home with it ^_^
    My rhythm guitarist is getting one in a week or two and I'm going to try it 'extensively' then. From what I've heard about them, I'm very tempted to sell my Peavey 6505+ to get one
    Gibshall
    enselmis wrote: these are really great amps. ive tried one extensively and all in all, i would totally buy it if a happened upon 800$. the only amp i'd get instead of this would be a mesa and thats just because its a mesa! lol
    well can you come up with 600 thats what the head is worth now
    Chikao42
    Bunyip
    phenom1991 wrote: I didn't like the 6262 so i doubt i will like this one. They have a very hollow low end My Randall owns most amps...
    6262 is completely different my randall also owns most amps
    Cistae mysticae
    I have this head. It sounds great, although I'd have to say that the reliability isn't great. I'm gonna be on my 3rd one as soon as I go pick it up from the shop, but thankfully the warranty on them is good.
    enselmis
    HeavyMetalHokie
    dont comment on the amp if you havent played it. i know people who didnt really like this amp but I think its pretty killer espically for the price. if you dont like it then dont buy it, but dont say it sucks of you havent played it
    enselmis
    6262 is a completely different amp, no comparison, also cause the 6262 has 6 6L6 tubes, this ones got 4 EL84;s in it