333XL review by Bugera

Bugera: 333XL

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

Currently I'm using a ESP LTD KH-602 with EMG 81's as well as a Fender American Deluxe Strat with three SCN single coil pickups. Mainly I play metal and hardcore (deathcore) music and this amp works great for it. Scoopable mids make for a great chugging sound, but if you don't want such a brutal distortion you can throw it in Crunch with the gain up and still have a perfect sound for Metallica or Megadeth. Mainly I'm doing distorted stuff, but really, the clean is what makes this amp well worth the money. It's understandable that at high volumes there will be some hiss on the distorted channels, but the clean is near silent. Right now, mine has a really fat, warm sound which is great for the stuff that I do play clean in songs. As for variety, I'm sure this amp would be a good choice in any situation because of so much variability within the sounds from Classic Rock to Hard Rock, and maybe even country (I'm not sure I don't play country). If you want a brutal distortion, this is your amp. I tested my old Fender FM100 against it, and the Bugera's gain on the Crunch with a volume level of 3 beat out my Fender with the gain on the lead all the way up.

Overall, this amp is great for metalheads and rockers alike. I've been playing 5 years now and seeing as I was on a fixed budget, this fit the constraints of a next step up amp- cheap, reliable, great sound. I love the XL function because it really adds the punch-you-in-the-face sound that metal guitarists look for. Not sure if this is true or not, but the salesman claimed that this was actually a clone of a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier. If so, this a quite a bargain. As it has everything I was looking for in a head, I was completely satisfied, and would recommend this to many a guitarist looking for a decent priced amplifier with a sound comparable to higher-end tube heads.

I've only had this amp for 4 months but no problems so far. Only thing is that it's heavy, but that was expected it being a tube.

Made in 2008, this amp has all kinds of little features that bring it up to snuff with big name tube amp brands. Comes with 3 channels, Clean, Crunch, and Lead. The thing that separates this head from the regular Bugera 333 is the XL function on the Crunch and Lead channels that acts as a slight boost and gives a fat sounding valve tone. Another nice feature is the built in noise-gate so when you're doing stops, you don't get a lot of gain in between. Another nice thing is that each channel has an independent reverb function, an overall boost and each channel is eq-able independently as well as having a master volume and presence control. Has an effects loop that can be controlled with the footswictch that is given with the amp. The best thing about the amp is that it's a tube and it's cheap compared to similar heads.

Charlie4
    The price to quality ratio is very good but the only problem is the reliability of some of these amps (breaking down for some reason). Overall a good amp to rival/own the valveking. [quote]I should know cause I also have a roadking. I planned on selling the rk but if reliability is going to be an issue I'm gonna have to take a hit on the bugera. [/quote PLEASE i beg you answer this this question: Why would you sell a Mesa Road King for a Bugera? Up the Irons !
    Charlie4
    magdream "I should know cause I also have a roadking. I planned on selling the rk but if reliability is going to be an issue I'm gonna have to take a hit on the bugera."
    [/quote PLEASE I beg you answer this this question: Why would you sell a Mesa Road King for a Bugera? Up the Irons !
    chuckmehh
    these amps have a great price and wouldn't be bad for a first stack in my opinion because of it...Having said that, if you're looking to upgrade, like the one guy who said he would sell his 6505 for one, I think you will be disappointed. I played one recently at a local music store and it had no balance between low end and treble...it was just one or the other; either a really tinny sound or a really over the top bassy sound. If you are considering buying one, I beg you try it and not take all of our words for it though as everyone has their preferences. By the way....the music store also had a Randall V2 ninja which completely blew my mind...i'm gonna have to get my hands on that haha
    gautierm
    I need some help! I play on Les Paul suprem, and looking for a head. i found the bugera 333XL, and the peavey vk100 very intrestring. i would love to have a blink182 sound knowing i have a small budjet. what should it do? thanks!!!
    live2rock
    The main problem with the reliability of these amps is due to the fact that they are designed and developed in Germany and are tested using European voltage. I'm looking to buy one and read numerous reviews.It seems to me that the most problems are happening in the states where the voltage is different to the European. If they are tried and tested at 230 volts, I very much doubt that they specifically test them at 110 volts. They most probably just stick the dual voltage transformer on it and job done.
    live2rock
    Also, those who keep slating Bugera please give it a rest. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you can afford Mesa, get a Mesa. For me the Bugera is a decent amp for the money and and is a good place to start if you are buying your first tube amp. Next to that, maybe go for a Peavey Valveking but from what i see, many people are already selling the Valveking on ebay. Looks like they ain't to happy with that amp either.
    Charlie4
    The price to quality ratio is very good but the only problem is the reliability of some of these amps (breaking down for some reason). Overall a good amp to rival/own the valveking. I should know cause I also have a roadking. I planned on selling the rk but if reliability is going to be an issue I'm gonna have to take a hit on the bugera. PLEASE i beg you answer this this question: Why would you sell a Mesa Road King for a Bugera? Up the Irons !