6260-212 review by Bugera

Bugera: 6260-212

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: LA Music

My main guitars are a Gibson Flying V with stock 500T and 490R pickups, Gibson Les Paul Traditional with stock '57 classic pickups, and a Schecter Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707 pickups. I play a mix of metal (think Anthrax, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold), jazz, and classic rock. I'll start off with the clean channel on this amp. I always run this amp through the low gain input if I am recording clean guitar tones. The clean channel is clean as long as you leave the gain below 9 o'clock. Once you pass that point you start to get a distorted tone coming from the amp. I always use the bright Switch on the amp because it opens the amp up more and allows you to hear your high notes better. When the bright Switch is off, the tone tends to sound a bit muddy. The crunch channel on the amp is not very good. I avoid using it, instead by cranking the gain on the clean channel so it starts to naturally break up and give you a crunchy sound. If I am doing this I also disengage the bright Switch to allow the low end to get a bit more growl and punch to it. The lead channel is where this amp truly shines. The amount of gain on tap on this amp is astounding, too much at times. I always use this amp on the low gain input, unless I am using a guitar with EMG pickups. The high gain input gives the amp even more gain to play with which can be too much for many low output pickups which just causes a lot of hum and feedback to occur. The low end on this amp is just amazing. The two settings I tend to use on this amp are a 666 setting (bass, mids, treb all 6) with the gain at 4-6, or I put the bass at 7, mids at 4, and the treble at 10, with the gain at 5. When the gain gets put too high, many guitars will get a hum coming off of them when palm muting low strings. The amp does sound amazing though, all notes are very well articulated when playing a nice big chord. The amp sounds amazing at all volumes, whether playing in your bedroom or playing in a club, the amp performs.

The Bugera 6260-212 is a beast of an amp. It definately can pump out the tones that I need as mainly a metal guitarist, but it can still get the smooth tones I need for when it's time to mellow out and play jazz for hours. If the amp were lost or stolen I would definately buy another one but not before first trying out a Marshall JVM205H, I heared those things are AMAZING amps. If I were to tell Bugera to change anything about this amp it wouldn't be the amp necessarily, it would be the foot switch. It would be nice for there to be the option to Switch to crunch on the clean channel or even activate the bright switch. I would definately recommend this amp to others who are looking to buy an affordable high gain amp.

The amp that I recieved had a dead tube on arrival, as with many Bugera amps from the first few runs. Not knowing much about tube amps at the time, I went a year with that one dead tube (white powder looking thing at bottom of it, wouldn't light up) until I finally decided to get it replaced. I was out of warranty on the amp so I took it to my local amp tech and they got Ruby matched tubes to replace the set. After that the amp just sounded even better than I thought it had before. The footswitch is very heavy duty and can withstand being dropped very well but, I have a problem with mine now after owning it for 2 1/2 years. The buttons do not quite work properly. Sometimes I will press the Clean button to go to the clean channel, and my effects loop will turn on, or my reverb. This can be a problem on stage if you are switching channels in the middle of a song. The problem is probably due to wires in the cable being damaged. I would definately gig without a back up amp IF, I had a working foot switch.

Made in 2007 by Bugera, a sub-company of Behringer who is best known for their audio equipment. Features 4 6L6 tubes (can be switched out for EL34) and 5 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, 120 watts. Two channels: Clean, with a crunch mode Switch and and a bright switch, and a Lead channel. Both channels share an EQ but have their own seperate volume and gain. Master reverb and presence knobs. Two inputs, high gain and low gain. Also features an Effects Loop. Comes with a heavy duty foot Switch which allows you to Switch between Clean and Lead channels, active reverb, and activate the Effects Loop.

ronhoward
    If I pay $3,000 it should never have a problem, ever. People who have nice expensive amps are quick to shit on anyone who buys something budget. I've owned a 6505+ before. The distortion was great, but the cleans were very lacking. I know a guy that has had the 6260 for a few years now and hasn't had any problems. Bugera had issues at first with the wiring, but it seems to be worked out. I'm not a "hey go buy a Bugera, it's just as good as *insert*!!!" but I can't stand the anti-bugera club either. Most are going on the misconception that Bugera is owned/built by Behringer and/or the wiring issues they had with the first few runs. Like I said I owned a 6505+ before but sold it because the cleans just weren't what I needed. I also had a Spider Valve 212 that was stolen. That's probably the only amps worth a damn that Line 6 put out. Got a pretty sweet deal on it used at a local shop so it was hard to pass up. With some tweaking you could get good tones from it. Definitely not along the lines of a Mesa, but there's the price difference. I currently own a 333 Infinium head and push it through V30's. For the money it's not a bad amp. I'm also looking at trading some gear to get an Orange Dual Terror to use when I don't need a clean channel. I would love to have a Mesa or a Diezel, but I'd also like to keep making my car payment and rent. If you can find a 5150 (i'm not sold on the 6505's still) around the price range of a 6260/6262 by all means go for the original. But then you take the risk that comes with buying used gear. Do some research on Bugera and their quality issues. It's well known about the wiring issues but again they seem to have that worked out. The best thing is try amps out until you find one you like. You can read reviews and opinions all day, but that doesn't mean you'll like it. And it's hard to find unbiased information. There's people that either really love it or really hate it.
    RetroGunslinger
    Shadowsghost
    I own a mesa boogie rectifier, its a 1999 everything original
    Have you ever seriously thought about the fact, that not everybody can afford a 3000 dollar amp? Think about that one.
    themelodicdeathshow
    RetroGunslinger wrote: these "pieces of shit" sound great, similar to a 6505, and Id challenge you to find a decent 6505 for the 260 i paid for mine, plus the frequent breakdowns only occured with the first line of 6260s, ive played mine extensively for a year and its given me no problems at all
    Give it a few more years lol, it will! You seriously think/ believe your getting a quality peice of gear? Bugera cuts every corner known to cheapen there cost. I own a mesa boogie rectifier, its a 1999 everything original except for a few mods I did to it, and its never had an issue. You wont find this with a bugera guarenteed. And Ive bought 5150/6505s for under $400 more than once, there on ebay weekly!! The average price on a 5150h is $400-500 For a 2x12 a little more usually. A newer 6505h between $500-700. A 2x12 6505 $500-750. So all in all you got yourself a pos, when you could of had the real deal for the same $$$ !!!
    themelodicdeathshow
    sewoo55 wrote: does this thing have the same circuitry as the peavey 6505?
    lmao no, that would be illegal! There in the process of being sued by peavey and mesa boogie allready for manufacturing knockoffs of there amps. Dont think your getting a 6505 cuz your not your getting a bugera 6260 similar in ways but not even close in others! Also you can buy used peavey 6505s for less than these peices of shit are new!!!
    RetroGunslinger
    Great amp, especially for the price, although ive gotta admitt after having it for a year thebassy sound is starting to bore me lol
    PsiGuy60
    sewoo55 wrote: does this thing have the same circuitry as the peavey 6505?
    No, actually. It does sound remarkably similar though. Behringer/Bugera have a history of doing this - nearly all of their products are cheap and designed to sound similar to a product by a different manufacturer but for less money. They generally break down more often, though.
    themelodicdeathshow
    And dont say that the new bugeras dont breakdown god seriously go to there forums!
    themelodicdeathshow
    Heres an example of how common it is for peaveys to 5150/6505s for under $400, I found this while skimming page 1 of the gear ads on this forum http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sho... 69407 Sorry to triple post but I feel the need to promote real companies who produce quality gear thats designed to last, not the companies pushing crap for less to make a fast profit.
    acdcopoulos
    Hey !!! I'm looking to buy a limited budget combo tube amp to use it with my eleven rack mainly for small gigs (use the poweramp to run 11r through a cab)! Can anyone help recomend me some limited buget combo amps (with an fx loop) ?
    Stormymonday
    I can get this amp for $499.00 new..but its still a POS! Behringer/Bugera amps do not hold up...but..You get what You pay for!! Poor Quality.
    rickster100
    Going on what premis still to hear hard evidence there a pos lol, i've had my 6262-212 for 2 years now and not one problem, if it does i'll get it sorted simple as. Awesome sounding amp next on the agenda is a full re-valve, i would certainly recommend one