6260 review by Bugera

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Bugera: 6260

I use this amp with either my Epiphone Prophecy EX, or my Jackson RR5, both of which have EMG active pickups. Both guitars sound great through the amp, although I tend to prefer the Epi. The amp suits my music style down to the ground, as it is a clone of the Peavey 5150/6505 amps. It has high gain and can produce great metal tones. The one downside to this monster gain is the amp is VERY noisy. I use the clean channel with the volume set to 0 to go silent between songs, this doesn't really cause issues for me, but for someone who actually used their clean, it could be a bit of a problem. I've never really messed about with trying to get other sounds, as embarrassing as it is, I've never really learned any other styles of playing, so wouldn't know where to start. From my limited experimenting with the clean channel, I wouldn't say it is particularly good, it sounds quite dull and bland. What I would say is this: if you are like me and want a great sounding metal amp with a hefty distortion, then this is your ideal candidate if you're on a budget.

Overall, the 6260 is a great match for a metal guitarist on a budget, especially if you're not looking for much from a clean channel. If you want cleans too, perhaps try the 6262, which has 2 EQs. I've been playing now about 6 years, this is my 3rd head. Prior to it, I've owned a solid state Crate and a Peavey Valveking. I took a risk selling the VK to buy the Bugera, but I think it has paid off. If it were to be lost or stolen, I would probably replace it with a 6262, and I'd probably buy one of the newer "Infinium" models, as the valve life increaser sounds great. I love the fact that no matter where I'm playing, I've got a simple setup, no need for tonnes of stompboxes as the Bugera delivers on tone straight out the box. The only thing I don't like I the hiss, which is really loud, probably the loudest I've heard. This is easily controlled with a noise gate, and I've got a Decimator, so I'm sorted in that department. The only amp I compared it to was the Valveking and Tonewise, it definitely comes out the winner, the sound is beefier and more brutal. I would say the amp overall is a 7/10, because although there are some niggle quality issues, I've had nothing that has stopped the amp working permanently, even after a year of being battered about in the back of cars and vans along with regular gigging. The sound is monstrous, probably unbeatable for the price, I'm recording a full length album with my band at the moment using the Bugera for both sets of guitar tracks, I'll post some clips on my profile later.

This amp has never broken down on me once in a year of gigging it. There have been a few niggly issues, firstly, my power light stopped working, then the standby light as well. Neither of these things have affected the functioning of the amp, but it is slightly annoying. I also had a bizzare issue with the footswitch, where I couldn't get it to connect to the jack, I've since opened the amp up and removed a metal washer, which has rectified this issue. A year on and I'm still getting a good sound out of the factory tubes, however I'm thinking of replacing them with some high grade tubes to remove the hiss.

I'm not entirely sure what year my amp was built, so I'm afraid I can't tell you that. What I can tell you is that it is a 120 Watt, very high gain, all valve amp. It has 5 preamp valves and 4 power tubes. I only really play one style of music, which is metal. It has 2 channels and comes with a sturdy metal footswitch, which gives you control of the reverb, fx loop and channel changing. I never really use the clean, or reverb, as I only really use the amp for gigging and the material I play doesn't have any need for it. The one thing I wish the amp had would be a seperate EQ for the clean channel, I might feel more inclined to use it if I could get a decent sound from it without interfering with the EQ of my rhythm sound. This amp has plenty of power, even at gigs I've never really had it past 5, but what do you expect from a 120 watt valve amp.