6262 review by Bugera

Bugera: 6262

This was one of the early 6262 amps, I bought it in 2009. 2 channels, clean/crunch and lead. Separate controls for each channel and a bright switch for the clean, which also affects the crunch tone. 120 watts in 4,8 or 16ohms, switchable on the back. It also has a serial fx loop and footswitch. If you need a boost, stick a boost in the fx loop. If you want another channel, stick a tube screamer in front of the clean or crunch channels. The footswitch has a clean/crunch switch, a lead switch, a reverb switch and a fx loop switch. Just 4, but it does come with the amp and it's metal, fairly solid but the wire could be better, just be careful with it.

This is a rock/metal amp, based on the 5150+ design. If you want aggressive this is it. I'm a lover of The Haunted and Lamb Of God and bands like that, this amp allows me to get that tone. My guitars are pretty standard, EMG equipped ESP's, Ibanez etc... There is a little noise on the lead channel but if you have this much gain on tap, it'll amplify any noise and when you're rocking away at a gig, who can notice any hiss anyway?! The cab makes a difference, if you try one of these make sure you get a good cab, I had a cheap cab and I lost so much bass and mid it was awful, bought a good Marshall cab and it sounds a lot better.

I've owned this amp for 6 years now, gigged up and down the country, rehearsed every week 2-3 times a week... It's still going. Like all things if you look after it, it'll last. If you pour beer over it (seen it happen) it'll break. Learn how to care for your tube amps before you ever turn one on and amps will last years.

It's solid, it's heavy, it's metal and wood. If you bash it against anything the amp will be fine but not the thing it bashed! But like most things, bash it enough and you will break it. I never use it at a gig without a back up but that's not because I think it will break, it's because if you don't have a backup you're an idiot who wants to fail. My back up is a Boss GT-10 with a cheap crate power block solid state amp head, just in case. Not ideal but it'll get me through a gig if I need to.

If you want a warm, mellow amp... Look elsewhere. If you want tone to hail satan to, buy this. I wish the crunch channel was footswitchable, as it is at the moment you have to choose between clean and crunch. So you can switch between clean and lead or crunch and lead. I want to be able to switch between clean and crunch and lead, so adding 1 switch to the foot switch would add a whole extra channel to the amp. But hey, never mind.

I wish it had midi operation, so I could sync it up to a rack fx processor and a midi footswitch to synchronise 1 footswitch press with not only a channel change but also an fx change. If it were stolen, I would probably get another, but maybe the Infinium version as the tubes are supposed to last longer, tubes are expensive.