BC30-212 review by Bugera

Bugera: BC30-212

Purchased from: Zzounds

Throw away all your previous reservations about Bugera, because this things kicks f--kin a-s. This amp is a made in China, 300 watt 212 all tube, and it rips. Its modeled after the Matchless DC30, but in no way are they similar. This amp is a beast unto itself, and I am thrilled to have purchased such and incredible sounding amp at such a low price. It has 4 channels, 1 Hi output clean 1 low output clean, 1 Hi output dirty, 1 low output dirty. The Channels can be jumped to add more gain, just like most 4 input amps. The controls are bonehead simple, with volume, treble, and bass for the cleans, and volume and a 6 way tone switch for the dirty. Whats even more impressive is that once the channels are jumped, the treble and bass give the gain even more tonal vocabulary. All of the destruction is controlled by a master volume.

The sounds this thing gets is so diverse, its a crime. The cleans are crystal, with the channel breaking up at about half way. The clean channels alone cover all RHCP style cleans, to AC/DC crunch when cranked, and all the lovely styles in between. With the regular gain channel, cranking it all the way achieves a Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver level of gain. But when the channels are bridged (and with the right EQ settings), it hits right in the realm of Metallica. To achieve even more levels of gain, ill throw a tubescreamer in front of it, and BAM! Searing levels of gain achieved. But, this amp is more directed towards classic/hard rock players, due to the fact that with copious amounts of gain it starts to feedback. Hey 4 EL84's, with a Tube Rectifier? Only 400$? Pretty freaking sweet.

Bugera is plagued with horrible internet reviews on quality control, but buying this amp on a whim has changed my views. It's built like a tank, Ive gigged with it, taken it to many rehearsals, studio sessions, and every time it sounds amazing. I throw it in my trunk, with no worries. An even better example, I was practicing one night, and then went out with my friends. I forgot to turn the amp off, as I was in a hurry. I came back the next morning to find it had been on all night, and other than the amp being pretty hot, it still worked flawlessly, and continues to work. Plus the things weighs about as much as a tank.

My bandmates, friends, and jam buddies are all blown away when they hear the amazing sounds this amp produces. Plus I didn't break the bank at all. I would put this up against higher level amps any day. I've had it for about 6 months, I use it everyday, and it has never let me down. The perfect amp for what I do, and I'm sure it will be for anyone else who plays through one. It takes every single pedal I own (TS9, Ernie Ball wah, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Uni-Vibe, multiple TC Electronic pedals, MXR Slash Fuzz), and creates unique and crazy sounds that make my pedals tools in creating sound. A must for gigging musicians.

mattdickinson86
    Maybe the cheapest built amp ever. And I mean that in the worst way. They sound incredible but they are not worth the headache. These just are not reliable amps. I bought one hoping for the best but unfortunately they really let me down on more than one occasion.