V22 review by Bugera

Bugera: V22

I bought this amp for practice and recording and it is great for both. It is very quiet when on and the clean channel is very crisp with lots of ringing harmonic overtones even with the reverb off. The controls are versatile having separate volume for clean and lead and a master volume. It also has a Presence control so you can brighten or darken your tone. The amp gets loud but retains its clarity into the higher volumes. If you play larger gigs you would need to mike it through the mix but for my practice needs it's plenty loud enough. What I really like is the lead channel with lots of gain you can get that great tube feedback just by using vibrato one a single note. I play a Gibson SG, Flying V and an Epiphone 56 gold top with P90's through this and it makes them all sound great. Since this is designed as a Vintage amp it is great for blues, rock, hard rock and country sounds but doesn't have the gain or volume for heavy metal. I haven't tried it with any pedals yet so don't know about how brutal the distortion can get. The other thing that impresses me is the responsiveness of the amp. Hit the strings harder and you get a definite increase in volume and it has good clarity on individual strings.

Overall I am very impressed with this amp. You get features found on higher end amps, lots of tube tone and versatility, great looks and decent build quality all in a small affordable package. If it holds up under moderate usage as a studio/practice amp I will be more than happy with this purchase. I compared this with some of the smaller 5 watt tube amps but wanted a bit more power to Drive a 2x12 cab which will be my next buy. If your looking for a first tube amp this is a good one at a very reasonable price. ROCK ON!

I have only had this amp for 1 week so can't really say about long term durability. I read lots of horror stories about Bugeras quality issues before buying this but after playing it and hearing that sweet tube tone, for the money I couldn't resist it. It hasn't broken down yet so I will give it a 5.

This Bugera amp was built in 2009 in China. Bugera being a subsidiary company of Behringer. It is a 22 watt all tube combo with 3 12ax7 preamp and 2 el84 power tubes. 2 channels, clean and lead with an included foot Switch that also switches reverb on and off. It also has an effects loop and line out for external speaker cabs and 3 way ohm switch. Also a pentode/triode Switch so you can cut power by half and play nice smooth old style tones. When you compare this with other amps in this price range you get a lot of features for the money! The only thing I wish it had was a head phone jack so I could enjoy this sweet tube tone when the wife was home!