V22 review by Bugera

Bugera: V22

I currently use a Schecter C1+ straight into the amp (this is not my primary setup) that is equiped with stock duncan design pickups. The clean tones are perfect for jazz (especially with the tube reverb) that don't distort a whole lot with the volume increase, and the distortion tone covers anything from classic rock to hardcore. The amp is fairly low noise (would decrease I believe if you used a better speaker cable). The noisiest setting is with the distortion all the way up.

I mainly play jazz for college, rock at church, and metal/post-hardcore when I'm messing around. The amp handles it all flawlessly. I've been playing for 7 years and haven't found a better match for the price. It can compete slightly with my Engl Powerball 2, but the Engl has much more headroom and many more features. If this thing was ever stolen, I would buy another one in a heartbeat (and maybe the expansion cabinet!) to replace it. The thing handles all the tones I throw at it. The only downfall I find is that the channels share the EQ, which can get annoying sometimes but for the most part the clean channel sounds great no matter how you tweak the EQ for distortion. Wouldn't hurt to hook an EQ pedal into one of the channels though. I definitely wish it had seperate EQ's, but its a sacrifice for the price. Best feature of the whole thing is that it is all tube. Sounds fantastic! I compared this with a few of the other combo amps at the price and this thing blew them away.

So far this amp has shown me nothing but dependability. I would use it without a backup amplifier, and have, for any gig. It has never broken down, and having owned it for about 9 months now, it has never been serviced (probably time to soon change tubes).

So I decided to buy this amp for college (I need a portable amp that would play jazz as well as allow me to mess around). The tube sound covers jazz beautifully, however I was surprised at the distortion tone. I am able to perform heavier sounds in punk or hardcore. Wide range! The amp is 2 channels (clean, distortion) and has a foot switch to select channel and control the tube reverb. Only downfall of this amp is that it's EQ is shared between channels. It also has a pentode/triode switch which comes in handy when messing around with tone. The amp's 22 watts of tube power is plenty for anything I could use it for. It sounds great at bedroom volumes, but can also fill a small club without a microphone (and any size with a mic!). For the price, you can not get an amp with these features elsewhere.

sausagefinger
    I love my Bugera V22. I'm a $50 player who was looking at $600 amps (Blackstar HT20 and Vox AC15) I bought the V22 largely because it was only $265, which is an amount I can still reckon with my near total lack of talent. I can get almost every tone and sound I want out of this rascal and I haven't bought any pedals yet. I am having an issue with, what I believe, is the foot switch. Sometimes after about an hour of playing, I get a background warble and the reverb cuts out. Does anyone know if in fact this problem originates with the foot switch and what I can do about it? I'll appreciate any suggestions. Almost any suggestions.
    rv_phoenix
    ooohuck wrote: Bugera V22 is the best. TONE - due to the enclosure, the tubes, the speaker, the electronics... For Guitar or Harp. It's better than the Fenders. The dirt channel cannot match the pure emotion of the clean/busted speaker sound. With only the touch of your fingers on the strings you can go from god wrestling with the devil to the sweetest angels you'd ever find. That's perfection. This is THE sound that CANNOT be recorded exactly - that real musicians die for.
    I think you're dreaming. Sweet dreams, then. There's no relvant guitar player to play on Bugera. You could find out why, but only after you wake up. I have the feeling it's too early, though. Keep on sleeping.
    rv_phoenix
    I meant RELEVANT players. Not 15 minutes "stars". "Brian Who" doesn't rank among the first 2000 players and it never will. And Bugera doesn't appeal to real players because it doesn't have a good reputation of reliability. When you're touring 100 days a year, you need a tool to be in tip-top shape at any minute, 'cos you never have the time to run after service teams. Personally, I don't think Bugera is crap. It doesn't sound so bad. It lacks a profile, though. Its sound is not very consistently defined, among so many all-tube amps available today. And comparing it to a Fender is simply a blasphemy. Not in a 100 years, a Bugera will sound as good as a Fender, for obvious reasons (Jensen speakers are worse than Eminences used by Fender, Fender designs have "tricks" hard to emulate, Fender's timber and assembly technology is unique and so on).