V22 review by Bugera

Bugera: V22

Purchased from: zZounds Music

I have 21 electric guitars that I use with this amp, single coil and humbucking. I am not a big fan of active pickups so I don't have a guitar with active pickups. I play blues and classic rock, which fits this amps abilities to the 'T'. As I mentioned before, the cleans are lush and full and the distortion mode is absolutely killer. The amp nails the classic rock crunch distortion without needing a pedal in front of the preamp. The amp is not noisy unless the gain is dimed pre and post. Then you get the usual noise floor intrusion, but then, the amp is being maxed out so this is to be expected. The amp has reverb as its only effect, which is all that I need for the intended use of the amp. The clean channel maxed out is very, very loud but still sparkling clean. Almost Fender sounding but with a tone of its own. The distortion channel gets louder yet from the clean channel level. The distortion channel will handle just about any brutality, but it won't quite get the all out house leveling metal sound. While the distortion channel is not metal head heaven, it still is brutal enough to impress the neighbors, LOL!

As mentioned before, I play the blues and classic rock styles. Again, the Bugera V22 is a great match for these styles. I have been playing guitar now for some 48 years now and I still enjoy playing. I try to learn new things and practice on a semi-regular basis. My influences are many, a veritable who's who of players. I had done my research before purchasing the Bugera, it was the right amp at the right price. It has the tube sound that I wanted without the heart attack price. I have no regrets in buying this amp, I realize that there are those who turn their noses up at Bugeras, but since this amp is for me, I don't care what they think. I love the round, juicy sound the Bugera produces, I use round wound strings so this was important to me. Some amps have a brittle character in their clean sound but not the Bugera. Nice and warm, very organic. The distortion channel is also organic sounding, without all of the fizz and brittleness normally associated with extreme gain structures. When I play solos while in the gain mode they stand out without being overpowering. The Bugera can attain a Marshall like sound without the bombast and ear damage. I would put out a hit on the moron who dares steal this amp, it is that valuable to me. I would never lose this amp, it would basically be attached to my belt, LOL! But I would keep my eye on this baby regardless of its location. If need be, I would purchase this amp again. It's that good! I love the tube sound the Bugera puts out, with more than ample volume for its size. I don't like that it is a bit on the heavy side, but as I mentioned before this is the nature of the beast. I compared the Bugera to many other tube amps of about 22 watts and the Bugera more than did the job at a very manageable price. After playing through the Bugera I knew this was the amp for me. The only thing I wish this amp had or didn't have is the weight. But I guess I need to go the gym, LOL!

YouTube preview picture

This has been a very dependable amp for me and I would use it without a backup with confidence. It has never let me down, and when the tubes go I will replace them with equal or better tubes depending on my budget at the time. I don't neglect my equipment, I do try to keep up with whatever is needed by my equipment since I am depending on my equipment. I take care of my equipment and my equipment will take care of me. With proper attention and maintenance I suspect this amp will last a long, long time.

The Bugera V22 amplifier I own was made in 2010 and was purchased new. It has been a solid piece of equipment for me. The versatility is more than adequate for my needs, from gorgeous, lush cleans to all out gain destruction. The V22 has 2 channels that are switchable and an effects loop. There is no headphone jack, but I already have an amp with that feature. For what I use it for it is what I need, no extraneous functions or switches that I don't use. I use the amp for practice, jamming out and home practicing. For these uses this amp at 22 watts is more than plenty enough. The power amp has 2 EL84 tubes and the preamp has 3 12AX7 tubes, so yes, I can make the drummer deaf, LOL! The only thing that I wish this amp didn't have is the weight, but since it's a tube amp, there is a significant chunk of iron to hall around. Not to mention the speaker magnet is almost 4 pounds by itself!

Stevegio
    The new boxes yes they re-did them are all made pout of metal and DO NOT BREAK- They will take a pounding WITHOUT A CRACK...They must have been listening because the new ones with the amber light have an indestructable footswitch-Thanks for listening Bugera
    Stevegio
    bluesman731-you suck-these amps are great, played mine for 5 hours and 5 the next day and no problems and as far as bogner or peavey being better, in your dreams, these amps make angels cry...
    Stevegio
    P.S. If you can't find one go to Sweetwaters, no sweat, they have tons in stock, free shipping and 45 day return policy and the fottswitch is now made of metal...keep that Peavey solid state shi. Thes amps are made to rock, peaveys are made for kids
    threefingers
    I've been using a Vox ac30tb for about ten years and looking for a smaller amp that runs EL84 power tubes. I love the tone of the vox but at 100 lbs. with the road case it's just too damn heavy to wrangle anymore. The V22 has a similar sound/feel and weighs something like 41bs. I can live with that. My MO is to run clean and let my pedal board do the effects. This sucker is loud! It will rattle the pictures off your walls. Great high end chime and fat low end...like my vox. Once it warmed up I could hear a glassy vibration/rattle when playing sustained low notes at high volume. It appears to be the tube cage. I removed it and cannot reproduce the rattle anymore. I pulled the chassis for a look inside. It's clean and well assembled. I am concerned that the tube sockets are mounted on the circuit board instead of the chassis. This was the bane of early vox amps because the excessive heat would warp the boards. Maybe the V22 uses more resilient material. This may be a great sounding throw-away amp or maybe it work trouble free for years. Don't know yet. I'll be using it for a gig this weekend but will bring my dreaded transistor Peavey for backup. My suggestion to Bugera would be to mount the tube sockets on the chassis. A power cord socket mounted vertically on the chassis so one could lay the amp on it's back without having to unplug it would be cool, too. Love the retro design but did they have to make the name plate so big? If Bugera made a few changes to ensure long term reliability, I'm sure players would be willing to pay the extra money -- because the tone is there. As it is, it's a smokin' deal.
    gittarguy24
    I have a bugera v22 and a v5. I use both 2-4 a month for gigs. My brother plays hard through the v5 and I use the 22 as a guitar amp. I won't lie, the reputation worries me, which is why I started letting my brother use my v5 when we play out. He only plays harmonica on a couple songs and if something happened to my v22 I'd have a back up on stage. I LOVE THE TONE! I could've spent more money on a different amp but I CHOSE this one. Kills the fender blues 15. Hot rod deluxe is nice but out of my range sadly. Hard to compare the two though. Also, I got a male male 1/4 adapter and the v5 sounds incredible plugged into the v22 speaker. Haven't tried it the other way but I bet it would sound killer. Does MORE than enough for gigs although I mic my amp, always, regardless of size. I'm the only lead guitar and other guitar is acoustic so I need to fill the room.....
    gittarguy24
    Patrick7007
    Just got one off of Ebay a couple weeks ago planning to use it as a back up. Used it at a job last night and it sounded so good I think it's going to be my main gigging amp. I have a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 and a Blackstar HT 40 and I like this better than both of them and it only weighs 42 pounds versus 70 plus and 52 respectively. Plenty loud enough for gigging. I used it on triode (14 watts?) and still had lots of room to spare and the band I'm in is loud. I got it for a little over $300 shipped, B stock. Happy as hell. Freakin' unbelievable!
    PoorOtis
    Say what you will about the Bugera V22 amp..I picked up a used one off Craigslist for $200(after X-mas Present to ME!) Great Low Dollar REAL Tube amp..looks good also..easy on the ears but can keep up with a heavy handed drummer! It was a Great Buy..you need to road test one before you write it off!
    lockit55
    I just purchased a demo from Sweetwater for 341.99 and am very satisfied with this amp. This amp was built in July of 2014. This amp has the new Turbosound 12" speaker and a metal cased footswitch made from heavy gauge metal and has a nice long cord. As for the sounds, I like it. Nice clean tones, different then Fender clean tones but I think it sounds good. Good volume levels can be obtained from this amp. Digital reverb sounds fine, I don't really use the distortion channel but its there if you like it. Sounds a little thin to me, but I don't care as I like using this amp for the clean platform it provides. Nice vintage looks and was put together well, no glue residue or sloppy tolex covering. Would purchase again if stolen because the price is right. Seems like the earlier problems have been addressed. Good job Bugera.