Solution 18 Live Review

1,164
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Solution 18 Live Reviewed by: SG2011ACDC, on september 04, 2013

Purchased from: Manufacturer directly

Features: Made in 2013. This amp contains a pair of EL84 tubes and 4X12Ax7's. It is a classic tube configuration used by many companies such as Marshall and Orange etc. What truly starts to separate this amp is the attenuation features, as well as a gain knob on the clean channel. It also features an effects loop and a line out. It consists of two channels clean and Drive each with their own 3 band EQ and a slot for a footswitch. I mainly play blues, rock, metal and bits of country and the amp totally delivers on all fronts I could even see some jazz player being impressed by the amount of headroom on the clean. // 9

Sound: IT DELIVERS! Imagine your Fender cleans and Marshall gains finally available in one amp with their own unique twist, of course. On both channels there is no need to fiddle with the EQ's. I started with all knobs at 12 o'clock and couldn't stop playing for the next hour. The companies claim that it sounds like a big 100 watt amp is kinda true! I was amazed by the way it resonated throughout my room. The pre amp gain on the clean channel is a huge blessing. It takes you from crystal cleans to classic rock crunch at higher settings all by the simple turn of the knob. The gain channel sings and is extremely dynamic to touch. It has that lovely Marshall roar. Don't be afraid to push the amp. At cranked settings it does produce some cool Van Halen tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Really solid construction, it's built like a tank. I dropped the head in the second week and nothing happened at all. I was lucky because physical damage is not covered under warranty like all other companies. Completely dependable I don't intend to bring a back up if this is in my rig. So far so good for the last 6 months. One thing that amazes me is how it never attracts a lot of dust. My house has been under construction for the last couple of months and thankfully it hasn't really gotten dirty unlike my pain in the but Marshall haze which constantly requires cleaning every week. // 9

Overall Impression: Looks gorgeous straight out of the box. Love the LED's indicating clean and gain channel. The jewel indicator is beautiful. Sounds even better than it looks. I mainly play blues, rock, metal and country and it delivers on all fronts. I use a Gibson SG from 2011 and the guitar just screams through it. I can definitely see myself sticking with this amp for a long time. I've been playing for 4 years and It completely replaced my Marshall Haze which I owned for over a year. The amp just blew it out of the window and since it came with a 1x12 Celestion Greenback cabinet I can't even argue on the price. It is the kind of amp I can see myself building my tone around.

// 10