VAC 15 Classic Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
VAC 15 Classic Reviewed by: Vaernima, on april 10, 2015

Purchased from: Online

Features: I think this is the latest from this British company, has a future kinda tweed look to it. Solid construction, no qualms so far. Features one channel with gain/master, bright toggle and B/M/T control. Effects are spring reverb and fx loop with an optional 8 ohm output for larger cab if needed. This has a different look to their standard models, I'm guessing that's why they call it "Classic," but I like it more. Comes well packaged in its box, so appeared pristine on opening. It doesn't have the tremolo that a lot of Tweeds do, but then I like sounds a little alien so most of those aren't used anyway, and the fx loop, reverb and full EQ controls are good enough to make up for that. // 7

Sound: It's everything you'd expect from a British Tweed sound. Chimes with nice harmonics on cleaner settings and slowly breaks up into a rather focused and tight tube overdrive as the gain goes past 12 o'clock. I really like how it reacts to fuzz and distortion pedals as well as time based effects. This thing is very tight, bright but has a nice bottom end with the middle freq set in a usable frequency. The spring is good, I like it lower in mix but it can go quite crazy if you like that. I've used this with a piezo on a semi too, this thing still sounds great and I see no reason why this won't sound amazing with an acoustic. And finally, this is the first time I've enjoyed the sound of a Celestion Greenback in an amp thats not a Vox. Good work. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problem so far, it's been taken a fair few places to play. There's some good protective grilles in the rear and the front baffle seems sturdy cloth. No flimsy feeling in the pots and nothing's come loose. Nothing to complain about so far. No valve failure so far, even though they look like stock Chinese units, all securely set in place and the preamp valves sleeved. Weight isn't too bad either, I've had smaller lighter 15W amps but not in the all-valve category, so I guess there's a price to pay. // 9

Overall Impression: This thing can be pushed quite hard into sounds like harder Foos songs, possibly some nu-metal kinda stuff, even further with a nice high gain pedal in front. And the clean sounds are just crystal and nice... hence why this works well with time-based effects... There is no mess for it to repeat! If anything I'd say for the price I paid, given the competition on the market concerning Tweed amps - this thing is an absolute gem and a good find. I'm not selling it... but go find and try for yourself. Only recommend I have is the company now produces one in 2x12" combo! // 9

Comments