X-100B review by Carvin

Carvin: X-100B

Purchased from: Carvin

I use Gibson, Epiphone, Kramers, Fenders, Squires, Jacksons and home assembled Super Strats. This amp delivers anything from a Marshall, Mesa Boogie or Fender sound depending how you set the active Eq. I can get the Classic Rock, Classic 80's Metal, Thrash/Speed Metal and Blues sounds with ease. It's a medium gain amp that is very versatile depending on what kind of Distortion or Overdrive you plug into it up front. I split the signal into the amp's front plug and the front. I used a BBE Sonic Maximizer and a Hush Super C in the effects loop to kill any noise in the amp when I'm not playing. The Clean Channel is very classic Fender sounding ans sounds great with chorus or any modulating effects.

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years, I play on many different guitars, used BBE Sonic Maximizers, DigiTech RP-1 and RP-12, Behringer 1124 pro Feedback Destroyer (for Parametric reasons), Monster Power Conditioning and two VHT Valvulators in my pedal board. If stolen, I'd go to eBay to buy more of these amps. I love this amp, but I wish they would have given guitar players the option to have the Eq shared on both channels. This amp can stand along side any amp made between 1980 to 1989 or even surpass them. In fact, I'm looking to go hunting on the web for more X-100B's, so I can go all Stereo.

You have to take all tube amps in for servicing every few years to replace caps and you gotta get new tubes every other year to get this monster in full glory. This amp stood up to the rigors of the road in 6 Canadian Provinces and all lower 48 states... Still sounds great with regular servicing.

I bought this amp back in 1986, when my Marshall Plexi was down. I originally bought this as a back up amp, but it replaced my Marshall (which I still have) as soon as I got used to the X-100. It has a FS-36 footswitch / is wired for mono, that still works after all these years. The 5 band Eq is the feature that sidelined my Marshall because it zeroed into the sounds I needed more accurately. It has good power but I prefer to set my amp's volume on 4 and let the power amps deliver the loudness to the audience. The amp has four 6L6's and 3 12AX7 tubes to deliver the tone. I had the amp modified to have the Eq shared but when I returned the amp in 1989, for some service, the idiot at the shop, wired it where it wasn't shared anymore.