BV120H review by Crate

Crate: BV120H

Purchased from: eBay

I don't give a shit about what people say about this amp, it sounds great for just about any style. I play anything from Blues to 80's Thrash Metal and this thing can pull them off very well. It doesn't need a boost to play metal except for Death Metal but I use MXR 78 Distortion to give it that extra grit and bite. It does get a bit noisy with the gain turned up but a Noise Gate fixes that problem. At loud volumes it sounds much better than at low volumes and doesn't get all fizzy or harsh at all like most people bitch about. The clean channel on this thing is great too, nice and clear very Fenderish but still has it's own tone. I use a Jackson RR24M, a Ibanez XPT700FX, B.C. Rich Special X Mockingbird, and cheap Frankenstrat clone I made, and a Dean Dime-O-Flame, with all of them I get a great tone. With the Jackson I get a Awesome 80's Thrash tone, with the Ibanez I get a Brutal Modern Metal tone, with the Dean it's a Dimebagish tone, the Frankenstrat clone gets a late 70's rock tone, and the B.C. Rich it's a Black Sabbath type tone. I play this baby through a early 90's Peavey 412MS (the one with the pointed Peavey logo and the steel metal grill, also loaded with Sheffeild 1290 speakers) and it sounds amazing. It may not be the greatest sounding amp out there but for the price it's pretty hard to beat So despite all the shit it gets I love it to bits. Also I use EH tubes in this baby.

As I said I play pretty much and style except country and faggy pop bullshit and it handles them awesomely. I've been playing for about 5 years now and I think I have a understanding of tone. I have played many amps like Mesa Dual Recs. And Marshall JCM800's and while this isn't the greatest amp ever made, it's one the best priced tube amps out there much better than the cheap tube amps being made now and while there are better sounding amps out there, their not $2000 better than the Blue Voodoo so to me this thing is great. If I were to lose this thing I would replace it, but if it broke down I get something else and take back the praise I've given it in this review, I would most likely purchase a Peavey VTM60 or 120. Overall great tone, great price, and a great amp.

Shit that's made in the US is known to last so I trust that it's reliable. I know it can survive gigs as I've never had trouble and whem my band practice it runs for about 4 hours every time so I know it's built like a tank. The construction is solid as a rock, really the wood is hard as shit and the tolex is tough as nails too the only way to tear it is to cut it with a knife. When I got it though one of the preamp tubes was burned out so I decided to go ahead and replace all the tubes to be safe and that really brought the tone out. Overall a real tough amp and a great price nowadays too.

Crate BV120H, made in the USA, not sure what year but it's one of the 1st gen. Ones (Blue Tolex, gold logo, and the street style text.) 120 watts all tube power obviously, 2 channels, 3 band EQ Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Gain, Reverb for each channel, and Vol. For each channel, FX loop that can be turned on or off and a switch that prevent volume drop off. Switch for 4, 8, or 16 ohms, 4 6L6 tubes, and 3 12A7X pre amp tubes.A fairly versatile amp and good features for the price they can be found for.