CPB150 PowerBlock review by Crate

Crate: CPB150 PowerBlock

Purchased from: Seller on ebay

While I am not a Marshall owner I have played through my friends Marshall on several occasions. I am not gonna compare the two, but I would say that the Powerblock could be an easy backup. I can easily achieve and AC/DC Drive and tone with this. I use an ESP LP style guitar with coil tapping in the pups, mainly. I can pull off many styles with this setup. Clean tone, bluesy edgier to classic rock with the guitar and amp alone. I run a Rocktron Valve Charger (compared side by side with a Tube Screamer) in front to get a little more when needed. Also a Zoom G3 for everything else. Sometimes a Slash Crybaby in there as well. While the wattage ratings may be questionable, I still have no problem keeping up with the band, (3 or 4 piece, blues and classic rock) practice or live. I run my Powerblock into 2 single Genz Benz 12's. I have ran this into multiple 4x12 cabs including some Marshall cabs with great success.

Really don't understand why something similar has not been put out. Well, I guess we now have micro tube amps, but... Great amp for about anything, unless you are looking for rectified high gain type distortion. If is was lost or stolen would definitely replace it. I love the tone of this thing. I wish it had some reverb. All in all, alot of bang for the buck.

Funny. Backup amp gone to main squeeze amp and has been there ever since. Actually bought another Powerblock for backup, but never have needed it. I would totally depend on this thing and take it to a gig without a backup. You would be surprised to see what else you may be able to use this amp for. I have used it as just an amp to power my monitor section. Great little package.

Let me start of by saying this is extremely lightweight and portable. Seems bulletproof. Have had it now for three years, no problems what'soever. Packs a wapping 75 watts per channel in stereo mode at 4 ohms and 150 watts in mono mode at 8 ohms. From the manual: The front panel features three bands of equalization, a gain and level control, and a headphone jack for private practice sessions. The rear panel of the PowerBlock is loaded with speaker output jacks (for stereo or mono use), a balanced XLR Line Out jack with level control, CD input jacks, and dual purpose line in / effects loop jacks for adding external effects or for patching an external line level signal into the PowerBlock. The PowerBlock also features speaker simulation circuitry for enhanced sound at each of the audio outputs. Now I never have tried the effects loop, so I can't tell you about that. I treat as I do my old Ampeg V2, everything straight into the front. Obviously there is a ton of stuff that others may want or need. There is no reverb or multiple channels. Pretty staight forward amp head, but I feel it offers alot.