FW120 review by Crate

Crate: FW120

I'm using a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with Active EMG 81/85s. I find that the amp is very good for lots of styles of music from metal to soft rock and sounds good for pretty much anything on clean. The amp comes with three different channels, the first is the clean channel which is probably the best sounding of the three as it's so clear. The second is an overdrive which is good for things like punk and some metal, finally the third is a high gain distortion which basically takes your overdrive and boosts it with crazy amounts of gain which is awesome for solos and heavy metal, I usually have the gain on this channel set to about 50% because any higher and you get noise. All I would say is that if you're a fan of high gain istortion you should remember that a noise supressor is your friend. The effects arn't the best quality but if you don't want to spend 50+ on an effect that you're only going to use on one song then these effects are great. The only problem I've had with effects the sound is that the reverb gives out a bit of noise. Also don't turn your volume down too low otherwise you lose all of your tone as the amp seems to start giving out lots of noise instead of your signal, but Who would ever play this amp quietly anyway? :P The amp is great for tapping, pinch harmonics and pretty much everyone other technique you can think of and the distortion can go all the way from soft rock to face melting death metal tones with ease.

I play punk, metal, harcore, hip hop, pop, classical, anything and everything and this amp always provides what I need. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying this amp was how much a noise supressor is, because I would recommend one if you want this amp. If this amp was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again, but not because it's a bad amp, just because I have my GLX212 which is very similar and I would want to try out something else just to see what it could do. The only thing I would have liked is a headphone jack, but that's my own fault for buying the 120, because the smaller sizes have them.

I believe I could depend on it, but I haven't had it long enough to say for sure. If it's anything like my Crate GLX212 then this thing will just keep on going and going. So far I haven't had any problems and the amp seems to be built like a brick so I don't see me having any problems in the future.

I bought this amp about 5 months ago, I'm not sure what year it was made in though. There are three channels, Clean, Overdrive and Hi-Gain. There are also several effects (Reverb, Delay, Phaser, Flanger and Chorus) built into the amp, each of the effects can be applied to each of the channels and turned on and off with the footswitch which is provided with the amp. The amp also comes with a CD input but once again I've never used this so can't really comment. It also comes with a chromatic tuner, which is a little bit slower than the one on my old amp (Crate GLX212) but it is still just as accurate, the only thing is you need to play 12th fret harmonics for it to register your notes, which isn't such a big deal (It kind of sounds nicer when you're tuning with harmonics, lol). I used my amp to practise in my student accommodation and it definately has enough power, I never take it past about 1.5 on the volume knob and it's still crazily loud.

jonnowev
    korn56
    can you hook external speaker without muting the internal speakers?
    smudgertom
    jonnowev wrote: Found this in the UK for 170. That's a crazy ass price for a 120 watt amp. Would be three times that price if it had a 'Marshall' logo on it. I think I may well get this.
    i found 1 for 149 in gak.co.uk. check it out
    living dead kid
    Coldmystery wrote: I haven't heard an amp that sounded worse than the crate Flexwave series, aside from the crate V-series. I will say one thing for crate, the flexwave series does sound unique. It's like pouring syrup through a speaker.
    wow, you must really be tone deaf, hate crate, or just not know how to tweak an amplifiers tone. I have the half stack and it sounds amazing, better than my JCM800 half stack.
    Coldmystery