FW120 review by Crate

Crate: FW120

Purchased from: Some Junky

The two guitars I used with it were an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Fender Baja Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan HOT Rail in it. Never really tried it with a guitar that has single coils but the sounds I got out of this amp were by no means terrible. The clean channel isn't as sterile as some of the other solid state's I've played. It's usable to say the least. The overdrive channel isn't too bad either, but also not that phenomenal. The hi gain channel is absolute rubbish. There was never much hiss on the clean channel but the other channels did have a noise problem. Like I said, I never used the effects.

I play man varieties of rock music spanning from blues to metal, this amp did what I wanted it too, but as I've said I mainly used it running a multi effects through it. I got the amp for a steal at 100 because I needed a bigger amp that was gig worthy on a budget. It suited me well for two years. I wouldn't buy another one if it was stolen however. When I bought it amps like Blackstar, Bugera and Jet City weren't around so it was probably my best choice at the time. I feel like the tuner feature should be removed and maybe replaced with an onboard noise gate. Overall it wasn't a bad practice/amateur gigging amp.

I used to lug this amp back and forth to band practice once a week and never had a problem with it. If this amp has one thing going for it, the reliability I had over the two years I owned it would be it. One time it fell down two flights of stairs and made it out in one piece. I was pretty impressed by that. Not once did it stop working or break down.

From what I know this amp was made around 2007. It's a nice solid state combo and for the price I'm pretty satisfied. Not sure if I would have wanted to pay the asking price of 400 though. It has three channels, clean, overdrive, and hi gain. There are onboard effects that I never used because I didn't find them too glamourous. On the top of the amp there is a tuner but it doesn't really work. This amp also has an external speaker if you ever would need more than the two speakers inside it's cab. There's an auxiliary jack which could be handy if you wanted to play along to songs. If anything this amp is a good pedal slave for a multi effects pedal.

rv_phoenix
    Pretending that this SS crap (provided with some of the most un-realistic onboard digital effects ever produced) could appeal to a pro player is just an insult. This is arguably one of the dirtiest tricks played by musical industry to unsuspecting amateurs. Its 120 SS W worth only about 30 W of an all-tube, not to mention the sound. Crate's V series (which are a remarkable affordable all-tube series) smashes the FW in all respects: sound, power, vibe etc. Someone who compares the two amps should go to a doctor to check his hearing.
    brettdude37
    Please people,quit wasting your money on Crate amps! I understand that you may be on a budget,but the only way your ever gonna find your tone is to start with tubes! I would suggest the bugera v-22,It starts at about $250 bucks. Trust me,You'll be miles ahead of a flexwave!