FW15R review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Crate: FW15R

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I have had everything from an Ibanez RG420 to a Border Creek acoustic play through it. Mostly humbuckers, but it has had single coils in it too. It handles most of what I put through it, it has a problem handling effect pedals. (peaks out and makes a loud buzz) The clean is... Okay, nothing speacial but it gets the job done. Overdrive is very LOUD! Not in a good way, it has a constant buzz that is present, always. The gain can sound muddy and it can get hard to hear individual notes. Reverb just makes you peak more often and makes again; a high pitch ringing.

Straight to the point if you have any intention of going somewhere with your music, or are already a musician, don't get it. If you are in need of a FIRST amp, I would highly recomend this one. Its great for beginners. Now that I think of it, it could be a very good amp to give lessons on due to its low volume and general clear sound. (when on clean) It served its purpose for me for many months and got me to where I am today. But it can be limiting to people who are ready to move on to the next level. For the price and what you get, I'm not sure you can get a better deal! I know I have talk a lot of trash about this amp, but this is a beginner amp and nothing more. Great quality (for the price) and great for beginners... Rock on!

First this amp is NOT made to play live, I would call it a practice amp (that's being generous). In my opinion it is made to be play on low levles in a quiet enviroment. It is probably the best beginner amp ever. She is very low maintance, which is a big plus.

Unfortunately the only way to switch from overdrive to clean is to press a button on the amp. You can change Highs, Mids, Lows, Reverb, and the Gain. Other than that nothing. Has a speaker outlet, headphone outlet, and a outlet to hook up a "CD" or iPod or whatever you feel like. This amp is very soild and durable, it can take quite a beating and still sturdy as a rock.

shaymack37
    I am a huge fan of Crate. But the thing is if you like to play metal or love gain then you HAVE to get a three channel model. The gain/distortion channels are shite. But the third channel (solo) is amazing. I have a 120 watt combo with two 12 inch speakers and I wouldn't trade it for a Marshall or anything like it that's more expensive. It's a beast. Hope that helps the potential buyers...