FW65 review by Crate

Crate: FW65

Price paid: € 335

Purchased from: Bam Music Center

I use my amp with Ibanez EXR170, HSH pickups. The amp suits my music style perfectly (rock, blues). It never gets noisy, not even on max volume, so even the clean channel is not distorted at high volumes. It can produce all from a very clean tone to a metal tone and everything inbetween. I can duplicate a crunchy rock AC/DC very easily, as well as fuzzy Jimi Hendrix stuff, funky stuff, also Eric Johnson, Poison.. Distortion can be pretty brutal on the high gain channel with the gain all the way up, but a little bit digital too, if your shape is on low/high frequencies. That's why I refrain from using that setting.

I've been playing for 4 years, and this is a perfect fit for my skills and style. I love the chorus and flanger effects and the overdrive. If it were stolen/lost, I'd buy a new one. I've compared it to many other amps, but I think this amp sound very natural for a solid state.

-The settings saving. Pretty cool, but, it is supposed to save all the settings even when you turn the amp off. Well, doesn't work so good for me. It messes up everything so when I turn the amp on it's all going from the start again. Also, I sometimes have problems with getting this to work even with the amp on, but In a few minutes I can easily get it done. -The blue LED on the footswitch isn't working anymore -The cable has a VERY weak contact with the input, so my high gain channel is almost not working anymore. Well, amp is fine, and if I push the cable in it works perfectly. I've also tried different cables, but no difference.

It's a solid state and I love it's versatility. It produces 65W of power, which is more than enough for me. It's perfect for jamming, and maybe small gigs if you wouldn't use the clean channel, that one would probably not be loud enough, but the other two most certainly would, as the specifications say that the high gain channel has around 110dB. It has got 3 channels, clean, overdrive (these two have level, high, mid, low settings (and gain on the overdrive)) and high gain with the shape setting (low and high frequencies vs. mid). I mostly use overdrive, sometimes high gain, but I have some problems with the high gain channel, but more about that in the "reliability" part. Other features: -Reverb, up to 4 seconds, it sounds really natural. -Delay: all the delays have 3 amplitudes, low, mid and high. Slap delay, medium delay (about 5 times per second) and long delay (about twice per second) -Effects: 3 amplitudes again: Chorus - it's very neat, a rich chorus, but you can't just use a little bit of it, as even the lowest amplitude option gives quite a noticeable chorus already; Flanger - works great on overdrive; Phaser - Don't like it, I almost never use it, it sounds quite digital. All those, reverb, delay and effects settings can be stored in an effects loop. There can be two different settings stored and you can easily Switch between them with your footswitch, which I got with the amp and is really useful for switching the channels too. I only wish this amp had a tremolo effect.

EpiExplorer
    Thats the most generically boring review ever. Really. It tells me everything I'd want to know but its just like making mass production chocolate: Its great but.. wheres the passion?
    Petar
    L2112Lif
    Not to mention that reviewers apparently have to strike a balance between content and interesting filler... Just be happy with the reviewers style, okay?
    EpiExplorer
    Petar wrote: geez... the commets section is becoming "review of a review" section. if you search through last few reviews, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Lulz, I'm in a 'nostalgiac crazy man' mood. I can actually say the same about the amp.. its just a better version of a Spider. By the way, 'natural' reverb comes from playing in a tunnel. Also, if the cable jack is so bad, its really not worth a 7, is it?
    Paperjace
    All Crate amps are built and sound exactly as their name suggests: some speakers built into a goddamn Crate. Sorry man, but no Crate deserves a 10. In any category.
    STABxYOU
    Paperjace wrote: All Crate amps are built and sound exactly as their name suggests: some speakers built into a goddamn Crate. You're an ignorant tit and this level of stupidity doesn't even warrant an intellegent response. Crate has made a number of great sounding amps. Go put on the pointy hat and sit in the corner. Sorry man, but no Crate deserves a 10. In any category.
    Guodlca
    @EpiExplorer Well, I tried to be critical and objective, personal opinion and passion could give wrong thoughts about the amp. Besides, English is not my language so I'ts harder to exspress feelings. I've said it's very natural, not that it is natural. How else could you saw that? I gave it a 7 cause a loose jack is not really a major thing and it can be fixed pretty fast if you only open the chasi. When that's done, this problem will be gone for a long long time.