FW65 review by Crate

Crate: FW65

Purchased from: Claremore Music Company

The sound of this amp can range from almost everyone you can think of, you just have to know how to EQ, and remember this amp is very middy and trebly so you'll have to compensate for it. I've used a BC Rich NJ Beast with SH-13 dimebuckers in the bridge and a SH-1 '59 in the neck, I've used a Schecter 7 string stock p-ups, an Ibanez RG2EX, Ibanez Roadstar series 2 and many other guitars. At first it was hard to get a good tone from the d*** thing, went out bought a MXR-10 band EQ just so I can get something. I play mostly metal but I like to delve into a lil' country and blues. The effects that come with the amp are pretty much mediocre, so I bought a G-sharp effect processor and ran it through the effect loop. Like I said the speaker sucked, upgraded it to an Eminence Texas Heat (I don't like celestions robotic sound). Well with this all done, which is what Crate should of done in the first place, on the high gain channel set the Overdrive settings to B-3 o'clock M-9 o'clock T-3 o'clock shape at 3 o'clock gain at 1 o'clock you can get Pantera, Slayer, Metallica and pretty much any other thrash sound, mess with the EQ and set to Overdrive you get ZZ top SRV even KOL(kings of Leon). The clean channel is very chimey. Remember though, just like with EVERY AMP, you have to know how to EQ, if not then some amps just sound sucky. Its a pretty d*** loud amp, not very noisy but can GET noisy small gig worthy, practice worthy, garage band worthy. Also on another note, alot of people complain about how every channel has chorus, to remedy this on EVERY channel max each effect knob then turn it back to zero. I gave this a 7 simply because I had to upgrade the amp, but then again most amps you have to upgrade because of poor choices in production.

Overall this amp was worth the cash including the cash I put into it, with that it transformed into a quality amp. If it breaks I'd most likely buy another one. I'm not famous nor do I play at large venues, so a 120 watt head with 2 4x12 cabs or whatever is not what I need, maybe in the sometime near future I'll get something better like a Bolt 100 watt amp head or a Krank Krankenstein+ 120 watt amp head but as of now I'm content. It's certainly much better than a Line 6 spider or a Marshall MG. But like I said before I just wish it had a quality speaker and a better effect processor than it came with. Would be worth the money since there V amps are really good.

It's pretty reliable I'ved gigged with it, I'ved used it at the apartment, I've dropped it, it fell off a stool, so its taken some abuse and it still works, nothing broke and nothing scratched strangely. If you contact Crate about anything they usually respond within 24 hours so there real good on customer care.

It's a solid state amp, 1x12 Crate custom designed 8ohm speaker, 7 customizable effects that you can store into the amps "Channel Tracking". The effects range from Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay, Reverb each being able to increase or decrease how wet or dry the effect is. 3-channels Clean, Overdrive and High Gain. Has an effects loop in the back, as well as an output for an extension speaker which is wired in series with the internal speaker. It also has a CD input where you can hook up your MP3 player or whatever to it using a 1/2 jack. All in all it's a decent amp for the money you pay for, wish it had a better speaker. The one it has stock is too trebly and middy and not enough bottom end. Oh it also has a 3 button footswitch that comes with it. ALSO on the high gain channel it has a "shape" control, what this is for people who don't know is also whats known as a contour or presence control, basically a mid control. Can't say its an amp for everyone but if your on a budget, need a good decent amp, and maybe love HIGH GAIN or bluesy kinda sound then get this. Can't go wrong, its simple, its plain, and thats how I like it. Gave this an 8 due to the cheapo speaker in it, made the amp sound crappy.

Rock_Gaz
    At the bottom of the review it says that you would buy a new one if stolen or lost. Now I would like to know, HOW DO YOU LOSE AN AMP WITH A 12" SPEAKER BUILT IN ?