FXT120 review by Crate

Crate: FXT120

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I play with a Dean Dime-O-Flame, but I also play around with my Dimeblade and my ML X. The clean, once it's the knobs are all set, sounds phenomenal, and with this certain chorus effect, my friend claims it sounds like Metallica's Live stuff. Like I said before, 2 distortion channels. The 1st distortion, once you tweak around with it for a while, sounds good for AC/DC and some Ted Nugent styles. The 2nd distortion is an all out metal channel. Pantera, Metallica, you name, it can blow your mind. The only problem I have is that the amp, when on a clean channel and the effects are on, it sounds like a plane is coming in from a distance or somebody mowing their lawn down the street. Kind of annoying, but a turning down of the DSP level knob will change it.

I've been playing for about 2 years now. This is my 2nd amp and I've never come to like my friends' amps (they have a Fender and a Vox). The Dime-O-Flame and this distortion make a good match as well as the clean & chorus. My ML X is just beautiful on the clean and the Dimeblade will punch your teeth out. If somewhere were to steal this thing, they couldn't have gotten very far. I'd probably cry, it's that important to me. The only better amp that I'd purchase (unless convinced otherwise) is an Egnater Tourmaster.

Man this thing is made by Crate and it pretty much is a friggin Crate. I've actually dropped this out of my car trunk on accident a bunch of times. The worst thing that's happened yet is that it lost a little rubber leg. It's 50lbs! It bangs and dings on the walls as I carry it up and down stairs. I would totally use this thing live.

Like new amp, bought at a pawn shop for $150.00. Came with a footswitch and a cable. The only thing visually wrong with it was it had beer on the front mesh of the speaker. Other than that, it was just fine. I read that it was made somewhere between 03-04. I play mostly metal, sometimes play some Pink Floyd, but it fits my needs perfectly. There are 3 channels: 1 clean and 2 distortions. 16 different effects all sound good playing. 120 watts of pure, room shaking, snare-drum-tattering loudness! There seems to be 2 extra plug-ins: a headphone and it seems like another amp can be lead through. 2 speakers in the back, but it's not a tube amp, but Who cares.

Thugjitsu
    I got this amp as a trade for an older Crate, but mine doesnt have a few knobs or the effects. I dont really use the effects anyway. The sound kinda muddy. I played over alot of different crates, and have liked em for the most part. Except for the effects, they just sound too synthetic for my taste. I play the blue version one of this one(the you could only get at Guitar Center for a while). O and I have to mention after hooking it up to my cab. It wont play without the cab. I dont know what did that to it. Thats why me and my guitarist traded. He got an older but louder one. I also have to mention that the 2nd channel is no longer working. I cant really complain though I like the higher gain channel anyways. I play with EMGs through a Jackson so I love that high gain scooped sound the third channel gives me. This is a solid amp that can deliver when needed.
    Drew9745
    I just picked one of these up on Ebay, for a great price. I've always been a Crate guy, and this one didn't let me down. It's a loud, clean amp, with plenty of guts. The effects are a little different, but I have pedals that do the same things, so I'll probably stick to them instead.; although with a little messin around, I was able to get a pretty close Van Halen sound with just the amp itself... Did I mention its loud??! Not too many 2x12 combo amps out there with 120w that sound this good.
    Curtis8494
    I got one of these and I loved the sound of it. It had a nice dark low end but I could get alot of mid range sound from it. I'm using this with a Les Paul that has a PAF in the Bridge and a Vai Evolution in the neck and it gets a great metal tone in the bridge, in the neck a great bluesy rock tone. I then decided to add an MXR 10 Band and a Boss Metal Core to the chain and what I believe to be the amp's true colors were shown. It got so much low end my drummer complains that his bass rumbles. But sadly right now I'm looking to sell the whole rig. Anyone who's interested and in Michigan around Port Huron New Baltimore area contact me and maybe we can work something out.