GFX15 review by Crate

Crate: GFX15

Purchased from: Second Encore Music Store

I have a Gibson SG Epiphone and have stock pickups. The clean is nice but you can't control any Gain for it so you don't get a slightly dirty tone. The distortion is pretty good but I have issues with it. For a good crunch, I crank the Low and the other 2 are halfway, but when you go to clean, you get horrible buzzing when you hit the low E. So you bring it down 1/3 of the way to about 3-4 for it to sound decent. This could be annoying when you're playing live. As for the effects, they're ok but they're not an extreme effect so for example, the Delay setting, you never get that long long delay like U2 sounding notes and I noticed you really hear the delay if you bounce the note or do legato, it never seems to really delay a chord. Chorus and Reverb or nice, makes it sound like you're in a really empty arena.

I've been playing for about 4 years and I got this as a birthday present. I would've asked for a Fender, Marshall or Line 6 but this is good too. If I didn't have the money to replace it if it got stolen, I'd hunt them down as it's my only amp but this would be strictly a practice amp in my room. I love the distortion though. I played 2 other amps and the distortion didn't have that ballsy crunch to it which this does, but again watch settings. One thing that sounded cool but needed some buzz reduction was when I turned on the distortion button and turned on my pedal, it made this awesome buzz like distortion but there was lots of hiss so too bad you couldn't change that, but if you wanted a backup amp or just something in your room, I would recommend this.

This thing is quite durable. Had it for 4 years and never broke down once. As for a live setting, you could take it live but watch your settings, don't crank the low or it'll sound awful when you go to clean. Also, have a distortion pedal, or else you'll have to do it manually. But otherwise, it's a very good amp and didn't even have to make any repairs after 4 years (except to clean it).

This amp could be versatile depending on what style you prefer. I'm more of a rock/metal type guitarist and this suits that style just fine. What you get is a gain setting, level (volume), clean level, low, mid, high, an effect setting, and a speaker and headphone input. What would really make this a good amp is if you had separate Low/Mid/High levels for clean and distortion. I mainly use this as a practice amp which is just fine for now.

PRS14
    i have on of these amps. i like it personaly, its light weight and durably. i dont use it for more that practicing and it fits my need just fine.
    Deathovdishonor
    I love this Thing Im a metal player and have al ways used a distortion pedal and the onboard on here blow my pedal out of the water
    CommBreakDown
    I play all styles of music and I love this AMP..its the perfect travel/practice amp. and good tone too
    SEANOmd
    i bought a crap cord, so i've had about 8 hours of play time with mine, but the reverb is straight up mint- it makes songs surf and punk songs sound straight off the record and it makes fast picking sound double time if you have the overdrive on low. i'm new to the guitar but the tone on any setting is perfect for grunge or metal, but make sure to go easy on the overdrive, a little dab'll doo you. (it gets really muddy with the gain turned up)i payed fiddy bux (50.00) for mine at a pawn shop in portland great review, cold.
    Power Slacker
    I've had this amp for only a week. The OD channel is great and the clean tones don't disappoint. I'm amazed something this small can sound this good.
    nicholas.howe.5
    this amp is shit it doesn't last long and mine was $89.99 New it was shit the whole time i hate this brand new people DON'T BUY IT!!!!!