GFX212 review by Crate

Crate: GFX212

I use a Yamaha EG112 which isn't very good, but not horribly bad. The amp does make the guitar sound a lot better with overdrive. Again, I play punk and metal and with this amp I might just keep the guitar because it sounds amazing. Playing Blitzkrieg Bop never sounded so good. it's a 120 watt amp and has two 12" speakers so of course it's loud. I haven't tested it at a gig yet but it should play well with 2 other guitars and a drum set. The clean channel is a bit fuzzy at level 8, but again, I got it used at a pawn shop.

I've been playing guitar for 2 maybe 3 years, although I'm not great at guitar, I love playing solos from songs like scar tissue and smells like teen spirit. The amp works well with what I play in my band which is mostly rythm guitar. If I were to lose this amp I'd be pretty pissed off, and would look for this same one. The amp is real big, and seeing how I got this beauty for 150 bucks, well, I wouldn't have gotten another.

I can depend on this amp no problem. It hasn't broken down, and I wouldn't take a back up to a gig just because I trust it to work. The speakers work great and I wouldn't worry about them getting messed up as much as I worry about my guitar itself breaking down.

This is the first amp I have bought, not counting my starter amp which was a cruddy Yamaha GA-10. I think it was made in 1999, although I'm not completely sure. When I first got it, it was the body or box, was pretty beat up but the 2 12" speakers were in good condition. I love the sound of this amp, I play all kinds of genres. Misfits, Black Sabbath, nirvana, eagles, and to johnny cash all that good stuff. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The overdrive setting is great, you can turn up the gain and the shape and get a nice metal sound, turn down the shape and you get a Creedence Clearwater Revival sort of sound. The amp also has a variaty of effects, delay, flange, chorus, chorus + reverb, and reverb.

Hydra26
    I used to own one of these. Bought it new in 1999 and sold it in 2006. Kicked myself when I let it go. It has a ncie full sound a lower volumes although it's a little bit "flat" as most solid state amps can be (although not by far, the worst I've heard). The only issues I had with it were when I really started to push it the sound would start to lose definition. Towards the end, I was using it at low to mid volumes as a tool to figure out passages. It had a very modern sound to it and good definition.
    corruptjustice
    i have this amp...it sucks, no tone, just fuzz at high volumes. the clean channel sounds very harsh. i need a new amp