GLX65 review by Crate

Crate: GLX65

Purchased from: Musicians Friend, I think

I am using this amp with a custom designed Epiphone LP-100 and a Washburn. The humbuckers make good sound through the amp; a nice thick distortion. This amp is not for single coil pickups. In my opinion, single coils make the amp sound very muddy. Enough of the pickups. The clean is crystal-like. I've read reviews that it is distorted- it isn't. The amp has a very digital distortion. Not tube like at all. The rythym channel sounds like AC/DC and guives you good classic tones. The solo channel starts to buzz, ring, and interfere if the level is over 5. However, the lead guitarist from my band seems to like playing on it. The halfstack version of this amp would probably sound good. The effects sound good. The flange is way better than the flange on my lead guitarist's Marshall MG30DFX practice amp. Not even funny.

I have been playing for about two years (coming up) and owned several amps. This is best by far. I play classic rock, classic metal, and light metal. This amp suits the styles perfect. Channels sound great, really minimal static (except for the solo channel, mentioned earlier). It's got everything you need to play with and it's extremely versatile. If lost or stolen, I would by the stack. All around good amp.

I have used it in 4 shows with no problem at all. It's sat in the sun in the back of our car for a day and still sounded perfect. This is my second Crate amp, and they are bulit like steel. I can't even loosen the screws. It stacks up in durability easily against Marshalls. Never broken down. Nothing more to be said.

At 3 channels, this amp is very versatile and great for classic rock to death metal. This amp has DSP, which has it's own level control. The 4 levels of reverb are cool; it's like choosing reverb from a knob that goes 1 to 40. At 65 watts, it can be used for small to medium-small venues. It has equalization for the clean and rythym channel, but the rythym's settings are carried on to the solo channel, I wish this amp had separate equalization for the solo channel; I found good settings for the solo channel but they don't sound good on the rythym channel.

_ZarockeR_
    i mean when i first got it the tuner was wierd so i hed to go in and fix it. and the other day when i was practicing it sounded like i blew the speaker but 3 days leter it worked magically again.weird but overall i like it.
    FryingNemo
    I thought the distortion sucked, too. I even tried using a Metal Muff on the Solo and Rhythm channels, running a "balancing act" of sorts. It was shitty and noisy on the Solo, and okay on Rhythm. But then I tried distorting the Clean channel...it actualy sounds pretty good to my ears. That actually helped get a better tone for me. So, if you're getting this amp for distortion, don't. You'll have to use something else as your main source of distortion. The cleans, however, are pretty nice.
    FryingNemo
    Oh, and the effects are pretty nice, too. Definatly not on par with any external pedals you may own, but still conviniant and fun to mess around with.
    AttitudeXX
    the St. Louis amps are some of the best ive played. they cant even be compared to tube amps, they're a completely different animal. their very powerful, almost dual or triple rectifier-like, digital distortion is great for modern metal, put a multi effects in front of it, and you have a winner.