GT1200H review by Crate

Crate: GT1200H

Purchased from: American Musical Supply (americanmusical.com)

The sounds out of it are really great. I've used it with a Les Paul, Strat copies, a Jackson guitar, and my electric that I made myself. All of these sound great, though I've always perfered humbucker sounds to single coil. It isn't a noisy amp, really, unless you have a noisy guitar with too much gain on the solo channel. I'm playing the amp through a Behringer full stack (great cabinets, by the way), and it sounds superb. Even when it was just a half stack, it sounded great. the clean channel is still clean at high volumes, and sounds best with a compression pedal. The distortion is suitable for all but the highest amounts of distortion.

For rock, blues, punk, or anything of the sort, it works well. Heavier metal would probably ask for a little more distortion, and maybe a little tighter chunk, but it is still very close. I've been playing for 5 years now, and play for about 4 hours every day. If it were stolen, I'd have to wonder how they made off with it without my notice. I'd probably buy it again, or buy the higher wattage version, since we're getting bigger audiences now, and we don't rig it through the house. The 3 channels for the price is really great. Sure, I'd like the mode four, but I have a drumset to upgrade as well. I'd like a bigger footswitch for it, but that is really minor. It's a great amp.

It has never failed me, ever. My guitarist goes without a backup. I've never dropped it, but it seems pretty durable.

The Crate GT1200H head is a solid state 120 watt amplifer with three channels and reverb. It has one input, one output, an insert jack and a CD input. Also, it comes with a three button footswitch. For the price, three channels was a deal, and the reverb was a nice touch. Since this was bought online, I didn't really know if it would suit my needs. It did. I play lots of rock and blues music, and this does it all very well. The clean channel is good, with three EQ selections and volume. I never need to do much modifying to the sound, most of the time the controls stay at 5, except the bass, which is lower. The rhythm channel is great (gain, low, mid, high, level), giving a dirty overdrive, suitible for Zep and AC/DC kind of music. The solo channel may lack a little bit in the features department, because it only has gain and shape. However, the shape feature is very adaptive; turning the knob all the way to the right with gain anywhere from middle to full gives great nu metal sounds. Turning the shape to 3/4ths of the way to the right, with the gain at medium is great for Green Dayish distortion. This amp is powerful enough for my needs. I play drums in my band (yes, I own the amp), and my guitarist (who swears he will eventually buy a stack of his own) can play louder than I can. It works great for decent sized gigs (200 people or so, anyway) The spring reverb leaves a little to be desired, but it's all right in low amounts. Anyway, for the price, this amp delivers a lot.