GT1200H review by Crate

Crate: GT1200H

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I have used several guitars with this amp and they all sound great. I started with a Squier Bullet series (low of the lowest in Squier) Strat and it sounded decent. The I have used my '77 model Fender Strat and also a Les Paul and a couple of different Gibsons. They all sound wonderful on this amp. I have used this amp in small rooms, large rooms and even outdoors and the sound is always been good. The only thing is on some guitars the bass can be to much even with the lows turned down. You really only seem to notice this though in smaller rooms playing by yourself with out any other musicians. As far as effects go you have distortion and reverb and that's it. Not exactly the amp to go for if you like using several different effects. With me all I needed was distortion so it works fine by me. At times with the gain up you can get some feedback but I wouldn't say anymore than other amps with high gain. I don't care to much for the rhythm channel distortion but the solo channel to me sounds great.

Overall I would say for the money you cant beat it. If your looking for something to play gigs with or just practice and your on a budget then go out and try one of these. $500 for a head and 4x12 cabnet is just awesome. Its very reliable and I have never had a problem with it. Doesn't measure up to a Marshall or other high end products but for someone on a budget it will be awesome. I have played all types of music on this amp. Metal, hard rock, punk, church music, praise and worship, even acoustic stuff with my Ibanez acoustic/electric. If your looking for a new amp defintly go out and at least give this one a shot. I wish it had just a few more controls besides shape and gain on the solo channel but other than that I would have to say this amp is defintly a keeper for me.

To sum this up its just tough. Its been dropped banged scratched and everything else and still never misses a lick. The cabnet is also pretty tought to. I have never had a problem blowing fuses or anything with this amp. I don't own a backup amp so I have to really count on this one being reliable and it has never let me down.

This is a great sounding amp for the money. My band just recently started playing gigs and I needed a bigger amp to play shows with but being on a budget I couldn't afford any high end equipment. You can't beat $500 for a 4x12 halfstack. The head puts out 120w and is plenty loud. It's a 3 channel (solo, rythm, and clean). I have to say the amp distortions on this head really impressed me. It's really versital in different styles. I have used it from hardcore metal to punk rock to classic rock. The cab that came with it is just a standard Crate 4x12 cab but sounds really nice. I haven't tried but I have heard of people using bigger cabs and the head still pushing out plenty of power. The reverb is so so on this amp but I wasn't really looking for good effects anyways when I bought this, I just needed something that would crank out loud.