GT1200H review by Crate

Crate: GT1200H

Purchased from: Mother

Alright, I bought a new Ibanes RG321MHRB, and my Old Line 6 AX2 212 just wasn't cutting it anymore. Especialy since I was playing next to a Marshall JCM 2000. To be honest, I almost never pluged this amp in while at the music store, cause I was so turned off by another Solid State amp. I was goingto buy Ibanez's TB100H, but the cleantone sucked. And I figured it would be the same with this amp. But I was wrong, the clean tone sounds very good being what this amp is. I am surprised I found a solid state amp for this cheap that can keep up to a Marshall in a band situation, but this one does it. I play it through a Marshall 4x12 cab. Now granted, it doesn't sound as good as a tube amp would, but it does the job. The distortion is awesome on this thing. But only if you play Metal. If your in to Alternative, or jsut rock, this distortion would eb too "hair rocker" for you. Although you have good control over teh shape on the solo channel, and the 3 band EQ on the Rythm channel, you can't get a Nirvana/Chains/Pearl Jam sound out of it, It's more of a Pantera/Slipknot/Mudvayne kinda sound.If I had to name bands.

I play alot of metal right now as I am ina metal cover band. This amp is perfect! I just let the Marshall take the lead on the clean parts (this amp provides a great backup in that department) and then we both kick in during the heavy parts. This distortion works very well with the stock Marshall Gain cranked. I have been playing for over 10 years, and I play that Ibanez through it and a Fender Jaguar (wich also sounds great through this amp, especialy on the clean tone). I love the price and the sound I can get out of it. I'd definately buy another one if I couldn't afford a Tube Amp. Solid state is better now then a few years back, but I have found that this amp has a way better clean tone than the others I have played, wich is what sold me on it. If your ona tight budget, give this amp a try. My music store let me test drive this amp for a weekend with the band, see if your's will too. It's the only way to buy an amp, cause they all sound different when you take them home.

I dunno how reliable this amp is. It's my first Crate amp, but From what I have heard they are pretty tough. And Solid state amps can usualy take a beating. Would I buy a backup amp with this one? nope. But since I still have my old Line 6 I'll be bringing that along incase.

Made in 2005, this amp surprised me on how well it sounds for the price and considering it's a solid state amp. It has 3 channels (awesome feature) with basic EQ controls/volume on each, stand alone reverb control, CD input (RCA connections), on/off switch that functions both in the "on" and "off" mode. 120W of Solid state power which is compairable to a 50W tube amp. No headphone jack or effects loop. I wouldn't use either of those, so I don't care. This amp is a great basic amp for the price, and holds it's own well in a band situation.

orangeacid
    I'm looking to get one of these to be friends with my GT8 processor. Sounds good
    Nor'Easterbass
    i'm buying the full stack combo with the GT412 straight and slant cabs and these reviews just made me feel a whole lot better about spending $550. lol.
    funkymonkey1049
    I got this half stack a few months ago and it still has the out of the box feel. It has a CD input so u can jam with ur favorite band. Ive overpowered the speakers a little bit and they still havent blown. i wouldnt recomend doing that. if u must only play for a little while and dont push it past 8.
    orangeacid
    I bought my half-stack. The rhythm channel leaves a little to be desired but the solo channel is pretty good... however, I only use the clean channel cos I pump my effects unit through it. Its plenty loud and sounds great for the price. I'll post a review in a few months... I need to see how it holds together in a gig first.
    onid892
    I obtained this head unit a few months ago. I play a Schecter c-1 hellrasier through it and the unit handles everything it can throw at it. Instead of running it into the cabinet that's "recommended" for it I used the larger 320 Watt RMS GT412ST with the Celestion Seventy 80's....they sound really good and the head unit puts out more then enough to really get those 12's crankin.
    E V H 5150
    I was originally thinking about getting a Peavey ValveKing halfstack. But now I don't know...tubes or not, it doesn't seem to matter really, when I know I'll also be getting an ME-50, and playing the guitar straight through it. I'm really thinking about buying the fullstack. But first, I must find a job...