GT1200H review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Crate: GT1200H

I used this amp with a Schecter Diamond Series guitar with stock pickups. The clean on this amp was fine for the small gigs I used it for, but I prefer tone with more warmth to it. My main problem with this amp is the distortion channels. The solo channel didn't even have enough gain for my taste, let alone rhythm. Also, the tone has an annoying buzzy sound no matter what you try to do to get rid of it, I tried turning the treble to zero, but it still stayed, I also tried the entire mid spectrum, and it didn't help, and the noise was too high to be a low problem. Basically the tone is really not too good for most kinds of metal. I could see it working for hard rock or classic rock, but not for what I play.

Really I don't approve of the amp. It isn't a bad amp for the price range, it's one of the cheapest on the market, but if you're really serious about your Live sound I wouldn't go with this. For the same price you could find a used Randall like I did, used Marshall Valvestate, Peaveys, B-52's, there are plenty of alternatives that I would probably point you to if you have a similar music taste as I do.

It seems like a pretty durable amp. It's solid state, so it's not as fragile as a tube, and doesn't require as much maintenance. Good starter head in terms of reliability. It's telling me to write "reliability & durability", I don't know why, but just ignore this statement.

Before starting I'll say that I do not actually own the amp. It is my best friend's head which I've used for multiple shows when I couldn't use my own. I personally have a Randall RH200SC, beautiful amp by the way, but am writing a review based on my experience gigging and jamming with him. It is a 2006 amp that he bought new from guitar center. I play different types of metal, in terms of covers I go from Lamb Of God to In Flames to Wintersun. It really isn't versatile in terms of changing the sound much. It has 3 channels, which is good, but I only ended up using clean and putting a Boss Metal Zone distortion on it because I really do not like the distortion of the amp. The reverb on the amp is good, it is the only effect on it but I generally only use reverb when I play. This amp had enough power for when I used them, once at a venue in which the amps were mic'd and once when it was not in an outdoor show. However don't expect stadium coverage with this amp, the 120 watts of this amp really sounds more like 80.

6DgOfInTb
    the amp is okay. Its my first halfstack. I cant be bothered to make a full review on this at the moment. The distortion is decent, but i run a boss GE-7 equilizer through the effects loop, and it makes a world of difference. The clean channel sounds pretty good, until you compare it to something with better speakers..lol It doesnt seem to be bassey enough on the clean channel to get that good blues sound, but other clean stuff does pretty well. My friend brought over his Kustom (dont remember the model), its 2x12 Celstion seventy 80 speakers, and on the volume set to 1, it crushed my clean sound. But its good for a starter halfstack, with the price.
    chris123877
    I have been considering a half stack for awhile now, but due to the fact that i just bought a hellraiser fr im going to have to wait (sweet guitar by the way). i got to play this one at guitar center and it sounded pretty sweet;however, i only played it on low volume (im not one of those *****s who has to play all of his best riffs at full blast for everyone to hear). anyways i was wondering if anyone that has or plays this amp could post on how it does at higher volume or if they could recommend another affordable nice half stack.