GT1200H review by Crate

Crate: GT1200H

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I've used this with a Silvertone Sovereign (Duncan pickups), Les Paul with stock pickups and I'm currently using an ESP Eclipse (previously used ESP SV Standard) with EMG 85 and 60. The clean channel with the EMGs is a really great tone, with no buzz. I rarely use the rhythm channel as it's not the best distorted sound in my opinion. Although, The solo channel on the other hand is great for distortions. I can play anything from Metallica to Killswitch to Necrophagist and the tone is great, especially for the price paid. Great sound. My only complaint is on the solo and rhythm channels is the buzz you get when you don't play.

My overall impression is that it's such a cheap head with an amazing sound to it. You can play anything from blues to death metal. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for their first head or a good sound from a not so expensive head. I love the solo channel, mostly because I play metal, and I find it just great to play at low and high volumes. I've been silly at times and turned it up to 10 with the amp in one room and myself in another, and it doesn't get muddy at all. What I don't like is the buzz you get from the gain. Although pretty much all amps do this, this one isn't so much a buzz that is wanted at all.

I have had no problems with this whatsoever in regards to reliability and durability, I find is a very very reliable amp head. I've had this thing thrown around from rooms to rooms and houses to houses. It's gone through cold weather, hot weather, damp weather, black outs, yet it doesn't seem to have a weak spot.

This is an amazingly versatile and reliable amp head. It features three channels, clean, rhythm and solo and also has an inbuilt spring reverb. Also on this is a CD input which has worked wonders whenever I want to jam to songs and compare tones. This amp came with a footswitch to select channels and/or reverb which I found was a great feature.

Rampy
    wow great amp..i've played it alot seeing as how your my best friend and everything the way it sounds all has to do with the guitar for the most part though....
    metaldier
    I've had this amp in my room and walked out and shut the door with the lead going underneath.. turn it up on MAX volume and it sounds so hot.. Not a very desirable sound for a band or whatever, but when you have no neighbours and want to do some serious cranking, it sounds so nice
    nimbus_haylo
    I played this amp at Guitar Center with the recommended cab and it was purty good, it sounded tube-like, and it had great tone & features for $299 (for the head). I didn't crank it, but if i were to buy it, I'd probably opt for a better cab, like the Crate cab loded with Celeston seventy-80's. i wonder how good this would sound through Vintage 30's? --Steve B.