GT1200H review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Crate: GT1200H

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Waltons Ireland

I've used all of my electric guitars through it (melody maker, strats, telecaster, les paul)...and so with these guitars I have most of the testing basses covered. I play a broad spectrum of genres from jazz to metal, although punk and rock is where I mostly dwell. This amp is good for only one thing, heavily compressed metal. I played some megadeth and metallica through it and felt reasonably happy...however, try to play jimi hendrix, rory gallagher, guns n roses, the clash...and prepare to cringe in low fidelity solid state. I've played many superier solid state amps, let alone tube. Overall the strengths lie in very very loud heavy metal..

I play a broad spectrum of music. I've been playing for 4 and a half years obsessively, to the point where I outplay many more experienced guitarists. I wish I wasn't as obsessed with power as I was when I bought this amp, as I would have bought a Vox vt30/vt50 instead. I compared it to some Roland products (practise amps)..and really it was only power that made me buy this amp. Truthfully I wish I saved up some money and bought something better. Using the same guitars with my new amp, I sound much much better.

This is something that this amp does well. I had the misfortune of gigging with this amp for over a year as a lead guitarist and lead vocalist. Although I detested every mintute that I played through it, no matter how rough my band and I got, this amp would barely take a scratch. We've been very rough to this amp and it still comes back for more each time.

I'm not too sure when this amp was made, roughly about 2004 would be a good guess. It has 3 channels, lead, crunch, clean, which are footswitchable with an included switch. Strangely enough for something geared towards gigging, it has an audio jack input for ipod, heaven knows what possessed them to do this. It's a 120watt head, a very very loud solid state head.