GT15 review by Crate

Crate: GT15

I use a strat-copy with 3 single-coil pickups, the neck pickup raised a little higher than the rest of the others. The sound quality is excellent through this amp, though I would prefer the original Marshall tone. Turned all the way up, this amp in clean barely distorts and I have yet to replace any parts in it to prevent distortion (ex. speaker.) As I said before, the distortion channel is ok, but not the best. "There is enough variety for any beginning guitarist or professional guitarist," quoting my very good friend Tim Who has been playing guitar for 30 years and is a professional guitarist.

I play various styles, though mainly rock and metal. This amp is perfect for the two and combines well with other pedals. I have been playing for 6 years and use a DOD Death Metal Distortion, a FAB Chorus and Distortion (Christmas presents, but they get the job done), and a Zoom 606 Multi-Effects Pedal. If I lost this amp somehow, I would probably buy a new one, but if the better amp is sitting next to it then I can say goodbye GT15. I do wish it had footswitch capabilities and reverb, but it still works very well.

I would not use this amp on a gig without a backup. Just because it sounds good in clean turned all the way up does not mean it won't blow when distortion from an outside source is applied. Also playing with drums would be a pain. This amp has not let me down yet and I hope to hang on to it for years to come. Though I might buy a new speaker, just as a preference.

This is one of the best amps I've ever owned (the others were cheap, unheard of brands) and I would definitely buy another amp from Crate. This is amp is very capable of playing basically every style, though I would not recommend it for blues. This is a two channel amp, one labeled Clean, and other labeled Solo (distortion). The distortion is ok, but not anywhere near as good as something you could get out of a more expensive amp or a pedal. I generally play this in my room or jam with friends, and I've played some pretty small gigs with it, but never with a drummer. The one feature I truly appreciate is the external speaker jack which I never used up until very recently. I discovered the amp puts out a lot more power than I originally thought and can run a cab with a single tweeter and 12" subwoofer even louder than drums. This is not a lie, try it.

fasterthanfla
    I love this little amp. Sounds great and I use it to play live shows with a drummer. Has plenty of volume. For the the best tone, I just use the lead channel with the volume all the way up and use the gain for volume. I turn the bass, mid and treble all the way up. Beautiful, warm, bright sound. For distortion, I use a tube screamer. Sounds great with this amp. I own a 4/10 Fender Hot Rod Deville, but I've ended up using my little Crate almost exclusively now. I'm not sure if I just bought a "Freak" Crate GT15 or what, but this little amp is all I need and totally happy using it live. I took the Crate logo off and painted it bright red... it looks really cool. I have people come up to me at shows all the time, blown away by the sound and tone, asking me what it is. I just tell them it's a boutique amp I bought on ebay and they don't make 'em anymore and it cost me $500.00.. lol. I of course later tell them it's a 15 watt solid state Crate amp and they never believe me... lol.
    icpgettozone
    just an update. ive thaken my gt15 and smashed it in my drivway. it ****in sucks ass. never buy it. all the knobs wen to hell. **** this amp. ive got my peavey studio pro 112 and i couldnt be happier.
    91RG350
    Read the review. He got loud enough to play with drums because he attached a cab to the external speaker jack. Ive got one of these along with a few other practice amps.... and if you go via the clean channel, use a distortion pedal, and put some time in EQ-ing it, the amp does put out a real nice tone for a practice amp. It does growl. Wickedly.
    fan413
    Under solo: what does "Gain" and "Level" mean? and what does equalization do?