GT15R review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Crate: GT15R

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Originally I ran an Epiphone Les Paul Custom through it, quite a bit of buzzing at high volumes but it didn't sound too bad. I now use a Jackson RR3 which cut down the buzzing but with the adition of an effects pedal over the clean channel, there's still some buzzing. As I now play metal I don't really rely on the amp for my sound as the gain is pretty poor, lacking mids and treble even when they're on 10. The amp only has reverb so there limited stuff that can be done with the amp. The clean channel doesnt't't crack up at high levels too much but it doesnt't't sound particularly good anyway.

Moving from rock to melodic death metal has understandably changed my needs so the amp is quite redundant to me now, I rely on fx pedals to get a decent sound out of it, and I wouldn't recommend it for metal. I've been playing for 2 and a half years so I'm now feeling the need to get a new amp. If it was nicked now I would try and get it back, but not with much effort. However me 2 years younger and I would probably fight for it as it's serves it's purpose as a practise amp. The only niggle I have it the channel button, it could've just been placed a little higher. out of other amps I've played at that similar wattage, it's not come out on top, small line6's sound a lot better. that's not to say Crates aren't good, I played a few larger models and they sounded far superior to this one, and hearing people using the Live, they sounded great. Though I've put the amp down though this review I still thinks it's and alright amp for the bedroom, though fx pedals greatly increase sound quality. it's for the rock player at home but not good enough for high gain or distortion for metal.

The amp is durable, it's been whacked around a lot and it works fine, the input jack came loose once but that was easy enough to sort out. I haven't gigged with it as such but I'd rely on it I guess, but I wouldn't really recoment it for gigging due to it being such low wattage; it is just a practise amp after all.

The amp was made in 2005 when I as into rock, like Sum 41, the Offspring and zebrahead, so it did what I needed it to. it's got a clean and gain channel that can be changed with the button between the level and volume controls, not the most helpful place as it's easy to bump the knobs and either make you jump or your guitar to go mute. The only effect it has is reverb, but it seems to be quite good, resisting giving feedback until put past 7. It has headphone and speaker jacks and a CD player imput. I'm mainly a bedroom player with a bit of band experience. it's fine for the bedroom however when it came to using it with a band, the volume pretty much stops at around two thirds and the gain gets quite muddy. It is a solid state amp.

RickDe
    This is a great practice amp. I Liked it so much that I went out and got a 65w model for playing gigs. Its very versatile. I've used Marshall most of my life. The Marshalls are now collecting dust.
    Lamrick21
    yeah buddy...thats what reverb does.
    Kevin Saale
    The only good solid state crates were the older GTs that were made in st louis. This thing is junk.
    lockless7x
    Lamrick21 wrote: Um this amp sucks, it sounds like it is in the background or something i hate it yeah buddy...thats what reverb does.
    burn
    Mad Marius
    Everything is by comparison, folks. For the money, it sounds surprisingly good actually. I've played many of these small 10-15 watt practice amps, and this is one of the best in the non-modeling category.
    eddiedeets
    I really like the amp but i need some tips on the setting i can use for the, high low mid gain equalizer thing