GT212 review by Crate

Crate: GT212

Price paid: C$ 375

Purchased from: LA MUSIC

I use a Washburn with doble coil pickups and it is quite nice sounding clean and has the punch in the rhythm channel.It was a little bit difficult to keep this amp quite but it can be done with a little time and just plain getting to know the amp.The distortion has a nice wide range from low to high but a little noisy at the high end of the gain.Clean channel is warm and smooth and stays consistant up to about 7-8 on the volumes(but you will never really need any more than that)

I have played seriously for 14 years and professionally for 10 and I have to say I'd recommend this amp to anyone, beginner or advanced.It has the stuff to make you sound great in small venues as well as larger halls and clubs. Remember... Most of the time an amp is only as good as the person playing it so if you have problems with noise chances are your technique is a little sloppy and you'll benifit from a little practice. I love my Crate!

My amp has played over 200 shows and I've never had any problems with it(of course when you do this for a living you treat your gear like it's pocelain )I've never dropped it or smashed it too hard but through 200 shows it is still in great condition and ready to kick the crowd in the face each and every time.

I play a lot of Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, STP and so on and this amp has done everything I could have asked. Rhythm, Clean, Solo channels allow for versitile sounds and easy switching through the foot pedal.It has been on stage with Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, Fenders and held it's own in power and sound.Takes a little experimenting with your sound but once you learn this amp you'll be a happy camper.

ralleymonkey
    HEy i have this amp and its something wicked...for all those who are debateing on buying..the debate is over..like no s*** boys and gurls i bought this amp almost a year ago so iv had some time to mess with it, and with my boss MT-2, stock Dean Dime Shadow Ml and the right settings you can get the most perfect children of bodom tone....the clean chanel is rather good i must say its really clear and crisp, the rythem is sweet for blues or AC DC or any rock n roll, The solo channel it good its really chunky and has great mutes... 1 thing that i wish it had was casters this amp is rather awkward to carry but would be great to roll around.. i hope this review helped..Tanks crate for such a versitile and very affordable amp Cheerz
    duzit89
    Coldmystery wrote: This amp is great for kids, serious musicians should move on.
    yeah because higher end amps must make someone a Serious musician.. .. Just Shadap.. f*ck sakes
    Metalology
    Ha, kiss my ass. I have a Vox CPH100 all tube head and I still play this amp on a regular basis. I've had it for over six years and it's never given me a single problem. I even installed wheels on the bottom which REALLY helps in transporting it. The cleans are great, reverb is plentiful and the overdrive/high gain channels are good too.
    Jonno
    !Schecter! wrote: Sorry my friend has this amp and it just sucks. the only reason NEARLY all music stores carry Crate amps is because they were distributed by the St. Louis Music Group because they are cheap, loud and have a lot of distortion. and really thats all people that really have no clue about amps look for. Distortion sounds like shit too.
    I own a mesa boogie all tube 50 Watt combo (which I play through a Marshall 4x12 baby cab, and a 20yr old Gibson Les Paul)- I have been using the crate as a workhorse for three years and it sounds good, the distortion is rich and quite harmonic for a solid state. bottom line is its solid state and made in china - as is everything in its price range and quite a lot of more expensive name brand amps. If you dont have that much money, or are looking for something you can throw down the stairs, and your choices are limited to something Chinese and cheap - then its not a bad way to go at all - to imply that it sucks because it wouldn't stand up to an amp over ten times the price is stupid, its all about context and in its price range its a bargain.
    LeftyShredder04
    i dropped this amp down a flight of concrete stairs, ive had it for for almost 5 years and it still sounds like new, awesome amp.