GT500H review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Crate: GT500H

Purchased from: guitar center

The sound is great for anything really. Nirvana, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, and some punk stuff goes great with this amp because it's tube powered. The thing is it only cranks out 50 watts which is absolutaly weak for gigging because with my two Crate 4x12 cabs it doesn't really get any louder once you hit 4 on the amp which isnt very loud(but I do use it for recording and band practices with either my 40th anniversery american strat which has a seymore-duncan hotrails in the bridge or my les paul and it sounds sweet). It's got a really nice warm tone when you scoop out the mids and then you can bring em up and play some heavy punk stuff. Basically the sound is so-so.

My band plays rock/heavier punk and its an alright match for the money. Between the five of us we own alot of PA. We've got JBL 2x15 towers, powered mackie 2x15 towers, powered mackie 18" subs, Fender 12"s to help with vocals and some monitors. So we really don't even have to have or amps loud for a bunch of people to hear us all which is why I stuck with this amp head. But truthfully if it was stollen I for sure wouldn't get it another one. Good: warm, brutal distortion. Bad: a meesly 50 watts of power with close to no volume.

I would say this is an alright amp to use at a small bar, club or birthday party. But nothing huge thats for sure. Unless you've got a lot of pa like my band uses to mic it with cause youre just not gunna get a lot of volume out of it if youre running with a stack or half stack. But it is a sturdy little amp and you really wouldn't need a back up. I take this thing back and forth from my studio to my drummer's or to a gig and it hasn't failed me yet!

This amp head is very hard to find even on the net. I found it at guitar center and tinkered with it for a bit and bought it for it's range of styles and sounds. It has two channels (clean, crunch) with 2-band equalization on the A channel (clean-high, low) and 3-band equalization on the B channel (crunch-high, mid, low and gain.) Both with independent volumes. Two female jacks in the back for speaker cabs.

phatsack
    UnsignedRecords wrote: 50watts tube and not loud enough? hmm...
    that's when I stopped reaking