GTD120 review by Crate

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Crate: GTD120

I play an Ibanez RG2EX1 through this thing and at lower volumes it sounds great. But it being a solid state and all it begins to sound more annoying then a baby Who just sh*t himself when turned neer 5. I'm scared to turn it up higher. I might cry. I have to use pedals for eveything with this thing. The distortions just not good enough for deathmetal. Maybe some rock but I'm not into stuff that soft. Also the distortion and overdrive get feedback if the gain s even at 5 so obviouly a noise reducer is extreemley recomended. The only great thing really is the clean channel. It doent clip at high volumes and it stays pretty clean. The Dsp effects were deffinately a letdown exept for the reverb. The reverb is DECENT to say the most. The chorus is extreemly cheep and cheesy. The phaser is a flanger and the Flanger is a phaser. No offence to Crate but I'm not getting a Crate any time soon exept maybe a small practice amp for recording.

I play melodic death metal as well as classical, heavy metal, death metal, and melodic cleans. This amplifier is good as a practice amplifier that's big enough to scare the neighbors or just be turned low to practice without the cops hearing you from a mile away. It doesn't suit my needs as an amplifier due to the way it sounds at high volumes and the features akl sound horrendous. I am selling it and finally getting a new valved amplifier. The only thing I can say overall is it is good for a begginer to playing gigs and practicing with a band. But as a serious musician I am saying stray away from this if you have over a year under your belt even.

This amp is actually all in all very reliable. I've never had a problem with it really. I've played 2 shows with this thing and neither time did I need or had even considered bringing a backup amplifier. And trust me this babys not in any structural trouble. I've stood on the thing Live and it held up great.

I'm not adsactly sure of the time this model came out but I know it was quite recently. This amplifier is not at all suiting for my style and was a disapointment as I got into looking at other amplifiers.It sure has many good fetures for a begginer Who doesnt't care about sounding amazing yet though. It has a clean channel, an overdrive channel, and a high gain channel. It also has reverb, chorus, flanging, phasing, slapback delay, short delay, and long delay effects built into it. It comes with a foot Switch that allows you to turn on effecta that you put on the "DSP channel" of each channel. The footswitch also allows switching of channels. The clean and overdrive channels feature bass, midrange, and treble equilization knobs. The high gain channel shares the overdrives eq settings. The highgain by itself has a gain and a "shape" knob. The shape knob is really just a midrange frequency knob with a diffrent name. It fetures no effects loop. But in the back it has an external speaker output and an "insert" input in the back. These would be a reason to buy if all of the features didn't sound how they do.

ThrashJeremy
    Its a pretty good amp actually. For solid state it sounds good. I got it for only 150 dollars. The 65 watt one though.
    BadBassBrandon
    Crate are actually good amps, if i had the money i'd buy that amp, my Crate only cost $250 pretty loud with a good clear sound
    Zero-or-die
    is this amp really as bad as people say it is cause i need a new amp thats not to expensive loud enough to hear myself over drums and for small shows