GTD120 review by Crate

Crate: GTD120

Purchased from: Private User.

I am using my 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Standard Strat with this amp and it seems to be a good mix. The effects and the clean channel, especially the chorus, sound really well together, creating a nice blend of crystal clarity. I'm not too keen about using the effects with either the OD or the distortion channels though. IMO, using the effects on either of these two channels produces a rather muddy tone. I really don't use the OD, although if you're heavily into playing the Blues this will do it for you. I do use the Distortion channel quite often and have found it to be the best distortion that I have ever heard on any type of solid state amp, period! It's very remisniscient of a late 80's Marshall Plexi and is perfect for Heavy Metal.

I play Classic Rock and 80's Hair Metal and this amp handles it all. I've been playing for over 36 years and this is the best solid state amp that I have ever played through. I kid you not. It did take me a while to get used to it, but once I did, I realized that I got a great deal for only $200.00. If anything ever happened to this, I would definaately go out and look for another one, no questions asked. This blows away any Marshall MG series or any of the Fender FM DSP series easy.

Crates are built like f--king tanks. they will last you a lifetime providing that you take care of them. I just got rid of a 1997 USA made, GX-65 combo which I used at several gigs and it never gave me any problems at all. None! Considering that this model is not even 2 years old, I don't for see myself having any problems with it what'soever.

I found out through Crate's customer service that mine was made in April 2007. This is my 2nd review for this highly underrated amp. It has 3 channels and is rated at a very powerful 120 watts. It has DSP effects which are Chorus, Flange, Phaser, and Delay, and also features a built in tuner. It comes with a heavy duty 3 button footswitch and a set of detacthable roller casters which make transporting thia amp a whole lot easier considering that it weighs in at 50 lbs. I play classic rock and 80's Hair Metal and this amp is just perfect for this kind of music.

yjmstratmaster
    n it sounds great I can get a tube sound is the best app I've ever had for this price and I paid $150 for it and I've been playing for 32 years I've got sort of an Yngwie style if you want to hear my stuff go to bandmix.com YJM strat master punch the one in Melvindale Michigan and you'll hear how good this amp sounds who ever says this amp sucks doesn't know how to adjust it believe me go to bandmix.com YJM strat master all in one wordAnd that's through a single coil I now play it through Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang special and it sounds great
    Dimedani
    I have one for already 2 years and I thinks its the best amp for about 200-300$ if you don't turn the gain all the way up in the high gain channel you can get a pretty heavy sound
    jeffo46
    I've had mine for a year now, and after adjusting both the effects and distortion on both the gain and OD channels,I am pleasantly surprised at how great this amp is. To those who've complained about feedback at higher volumes,any guitar will, especially if you're using single coils. A noise gate will allevate that problem. It's not rocket science y'know!
    TheLostOne71
    My friend has played a few shows with this amp, he owned if for 4 years. His band just started getting recognized (look up Indecent Exposure on itunes) and has played with a few big bands, Hinder and Theory of a Deadman (coming up on saturday) Just recently though (at a show) my friends amp blew. Being a solid state amp, it is not meant to be cranked constantly. So if your looking for an amp, look tube, it may cost more but in the long run, it's well worth it.